Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Signs Of The Times - Nov. 1990

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mark Summers

Signs Of The Times - Nov. 1990

Post by Mark Summers »

I've kept this magazine since 11-90 and thought I would share the cover and some
insights from various individuals. Some of you will already recognize the style
of Noel Weber for the cover. Noel spent 200+ hours on design and execution of
the cover piece. 25"x33". Lyle Fisk, Fisk Signs is the second picture.
After reading through different particapants there seems to be a re-occuring theme about gold; A. Gold is too expensive B. It's a dying art. I'll read you some of the comments now.

AL GRAND - A. Grand Sign Co.
"In the old days, back in the 50's and 60's, you didn't have to sell gold; it sold itself,"
Grand recalls." Of course, gold was cheap. If the price was like it used to be, everybody
would have it.
"I would use 15 to 20 packs of gold a year," Grand says of his heyday. "Now I can't
use a pack a year.
...Al was 70 when her wrote this and went on to mention Mark Oatis and Kent Smith
as comtemporary gilders.

CHUCK KRAFT - The Signman
Chuck Kraft sees the high cost of gld as an advantage. You can call it snow appeal, but Kraft sees that the inability of some clients to afford an entire sign of goldleaf makes them happy
to have a sign with even a touch of gold. Generally, we want wht we cannot afford, Kraft
philosophizes.

SEPP LEAF
"Don't look for the price of goldleaf to down in the near future. Then again, it might."

NOEL WEBER
"My family was very patient with me. When you do a project like this (cover) you pretty
well isolate yourself from everybody."

Well, what do you think?

Mark Summers