Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

A history of victorian glassworks and catalouges in the U.K?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Anthony Bennett

A history of victorian glassworks and catalouges in the U.K?

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Hi All,
I always look in wonder at the work that was made by Rawson & Evans and also the catalogues that people share on the forum.
But I have always wondered what exactly is available from the annuls of UK based ornamental glassworks but have not had much success in identifying anyone of note and especially so when it comes to catalogues, Trade Cards yes. catalogues No.

So finding out that in Victorian Times there was the Mark Bowden & Co Glass Works just 6 miles from my house was very interesting.
However, all I can find for them is one news print advert shown here

Does anyone have any knowledge of this company or someone else in the UK that was producing the same kind of work as we have seen posted here by Rawson And Evans please?
DAVE SMITH

Re: A history of victorian glassworks and catalouges in the U.K?

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Anthony. Mark Bowden was the first person to use the overhead counter balance weight system, he was based in Bristol and moved to Lancashire in around 1850 I have some details on him but this is a nice find never seen it before. where did you find it ? i read the following in a book on victorian pubs . On 21 August 1857 an advertisment announces 'Bowdens Cut Ornemental Window Glass - Architect's designs carefully ececuted. Mark Bowden and Co, Bristol, manufactures. I think this guy paved the way for others in this country at that time,it was likely that R.Morris and Son's, cakebread Robey and many other glass cutters picked up on his style, the apparatus for heavey sheets of glass with a counter balance weight system I think came from the States . all very interesting on how it begain.
nice find Anthony.
Dave
Anthony Bennett

Re: A history of victorian glassworks and catalouges in the U.K?

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the addidtional info.

I came across Mark Bowdens details as a result of research and I just put Mark Bowden & Co into Google and followed any and all links. There is someone on FlickR looking for more information .

I might just blast that ad into glass or maybe even some stone..Nah I reckon reverse onto glass with maybe some gold using me smith tip !