Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

It's chipping, it's chipping!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kevin Bergin

It's chipping, it's chipping!

Post by Kevin Bergin »

Hi guys!

My first piece of chipped glass just started curling up nicely- I can't tell you all how big of a help all of the knowledge I've found on here has been. Dave, Larry, Roderick, I've got to say BIG thanks to you especially- your posts really helped me.

Thank you all for sharing so freely!
Roderick Treece

Re: It's chipping, it's chipping!

Post by Roderick Treece »

Seeing is believing , let's see some photos !
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Watch it, son....obsession could be right around the corner....
Kevin Bergin

Post by Kevin Bergin »

On half I left the mask on, and half off, to see if it makes any difference.

I'm sure Larry will admonish me for experimenting before my feet are even wet. You're right though, Larry, this could easily become an addiction. I've already got a few other pieces buzzing around in my sketchbook!

Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Nothing Like a Good "Plink" in the Morning.. Sounds... Sounds Like VICTORY.
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

More like..."No good chip goes unchipped". Can't wait to see it finished...are you gilding it or silvering it?

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Kevin Bergin

Post by Kevin Bergin »

Thanks, I can't wait to see it finished either! I'm going to silver it, black letters with a thin brightline.
Robare M. Novou

Nice, Silver and Black...must be a Raiders Fan.

Cue the music...

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas; you've just crossed over into.... The Chipping Zone.

RMN

Kevin Bergin

Post by Kevin Bergin »

Steelers fan, actually. If I had it my way, it'd be black and gold for sure.

It's for my father, a simple man who lives by the saying on it - he'd never hang it if I gilded it.
Robare M. Novou

Kevin Bergin

Post by Kevin Bergin »

Whoa, that thing is crazy! That's one helluva sculpture!

So I got my piece silvered up and painted- I ended up using silver leaf instead of the Angel Gilding kit. I swear I'll try it soon, I just didn't have time for another learning curve on this one. For a first attempt, I'm ok with it. Not super happy, not super bummed. If I did it over, I would definitely double chip it- there are some big areas of sandblast that I don't like, and the chip pattern totally changed on me about halfway down the sign. I'm definitely building a light box, though- I've got 3 more pieces of glass sitting here waiting for me!

Thanks for all of your help, guys- I'll have more new stuff to post soon!
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Watching glue chip is so much more rewarding than watching paint dry. :)
I had a tough piece that had sat in my shop for almost three days and was only partially chipped. I moved it out into the sun and within a few minutes it was popping away. An old friend (in his 90's) came by and sat down beside me on the bench and looked at it for a while. Eventually he looked at me and said "It isn't making me smile like that."
It's interesting how the area where you removed the mask gave you a bean like pattern versus the fern like pattern on the rest of the glass. I wonder if it has to do with body oils from your hands when you removed the mask or perhaps the residual sand was more brushed off and left you with a more aggressive bond.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Excellent job Kevin!
Bob Gamache