Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Heberling's Basic Lettering book

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Heberling's Basic Lettering book

Post by Mike Jackson »

The book in the photo above is on The American Sign Museum's site under my Top 25 Vintage Sign Books. It is listed as #13
http://www.signmuseum.com/exhibits/libr ... ooks3.html

I recently purchased a Heberling Basic Lettering which I had hoped would replace the beat up one above. The new one came in today and to my surprise it is only about 5/8" thick. This one is the 1929 second edition. The 1922 edition is much thicker with more text. The publishers suggest there was no need for all the text ("no longer has any great value") and eliminated a lot of it to reduce the cost of manufacture. The first book had roughly 272 numbered pages and the later one only has 171, however at first glance it appears all the original plates are included.

Needless to say, I was quite surprised when I opened the package and saw the plain cover and smaller size.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Duncan

Post by Mike Duncan »

Mike,
I feel your pain-I have both and was disappointed when I received the 1929 edition. I do think that they should have left in the text that was removed.

In the library classics on the sign museum site, you mentioned that H.C. Martin's idea booklets had been reported to have been combined into a single book. That is true-I got a copy a few years ago. It is undated so I don't know what year it was published. It is about 6 5/8" x 10" and a little over 3/4" thick with 288 pages. Here is a pic of it :

Last edited by Mike Duncan on Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.