Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Plating over graphite

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ismael Alvarado

Plating over graphite

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

well guys I´ll be leaving the "Graphite Mirror" thread for a later updates. what I´ll be taking here is my ups and down on Plating(Electro and brush plating) over graphite on a plastic parts..

below is original thread link
https://handletteringforum.com/forum ... f=2&t=3220
now what I have done so far..

sinse clearing does dull the finish(of graphite over glossy 2k urethane paint, Uncleared pieces can look even nicer than real chrome but are too dark to pass for chrome), I tried to Chrome Plate the plastic spoons(using graphite, nothing else)

Here on a 800 gallon nickel plating tank

here when I pulled the plastic spoon to show you it was being plated

here the finished product(is not the same spoon as you see in above pics, that one had a black background, this one has a white background and it was also chrome plated after the nickel)

here is the plastic spoon with nickel Only

what I can tell from this experience is, I need to sensitize the piece before nickel plating because its like when you silver a mirror without a sensitizer, the nickel is kinda loose, in some parts is strongly attached and in others is kinda loose, I´ll try a stanous chloride sensitizer. I can´t copper plated sinse here in Nicaragua we just don´t use copper plate at all, maybe a home made copper sulfate formula? I´ll keep you guys posted with progress

Thanks
Ok guys I nickel plated a spoon, this time with a rough surface, it not as nice as the one with a shiny surface but its holding very well..

you can see where is the copper wire was holding the spoon. I believe this are the first pics of plating over graphite powder. I believe I can achieve better results I just need to figure out a few more things. I´ll be making a "How To" Video, this method could be use with a Plug and Plate kit for a cheap way to plate small plastic parts at home.

thanks
Marvin