Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Shipping gilded glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Shipping gilded glass

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Question regarding the shipment of completed gilded pieces: I usually ship smaller pieces (up to 18X24) double boxed (no problems). Larger pieces require wooden crates with appropriate padding and cushioning. What is the recommended method for positioning the crate during shipment -lay it flat OR upright (on edge) to reduce the stress on the glass I seem to get conflicting ideas regarding same. Any ideas? Thank you. Bob
Roderick Treece

Re: Shipping gilded glass

Post by Roderick Treece »

Robert,
Here is a link to my crating/ shipping page.

http://www.customglasssigns.com/shipping.html

Good luck !
pat mackle

Re: Shipping gilded glass

Post by pat mackle »

I always ship sizable flat glass pieces crated standing up on edge. I attach wooden feet with braces to the crate with a notice "MUST SHIP UPRIGHT DO NOT TO REMOVE FEET" and mark the crate as "TIP INDICATORS INSIDE". (A bluff, or you can really add some to aid in insurance claims)
Small crates can be built with 1/2" construction plywood, larger ones with 3/4" plywood. Or you can build an open crate, but I prefer completely sealed. Inside the crate my cushion material of choice is ETHAFOAM. It is a very durable foam material white in color and does not mash down like styrofoam, instead it stays resilient yet firm. It's kind of expensive, but a sheet goes a long way and I have never had any breakage when using it.
Pat