Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Top notch work Mr Jackson

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bob Sauls

Top notch work Mr Jackson

Post by Bob Sauls »

I was very impressed with your design work in this current issue of SignCraft.
Was the sketch that was featured your own or was it one of the exceptional conceptuals that were provided to you, Sir?

I would be curious to know how many hours you spent on "Phase I".
Do you feel as though you carried the ball on that project, I suspect that you did?

PRAISEWORTHY!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Top notch work Mr Jackson

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the note and comments. The concept designer just showed a general shape or format where the sign would go and a few dimensions. After that, I supplied rough sketches, especially in the first few groups of signs we agreed to in the original conversation. They were planning on letting their in-house staff do a lot of the other signs, but after they started getting the first batches, there was such a difference in the quality and overall feel that they turned more and more of the designs my way. As the project drew out and deadlines approached, we had to switch more to working with existing type or fonts, but I sometimes modified them. I think many of the rides and attractions were painted to match the sign designs, vs the other way around.

I usually sent them roughs or comps in the evening. They reviewed them, made suggestions, changes or go-aheads in the morning and I worked on them again in the afternoon or night.

For anyone that hasn't seen them, Bob is referencing some design work I did for Silver Dollar City a couple of years ago. There are three or four pages of the images in the new SignCraft, along with a short article. SC ran out of space to show a lot more of them, but there were plenty more signs in the package. I supplied combinations of vector files and huge bitmap files and a local sign company printed them out and cut them to shape on a CNC router. Some had dimensional elements, but most were Photoshop highlights, shadows, bevels and so forth to imitate dimension.

I am doing another smaller project with them right now. Going back to all of the discussion here about social networking, I have been "linked" with my connection there through LinkedIn. I can't say having the link helped me get the current job, but it certainly kept my name in front of them.

And yes, my contact told me the other day the Grand Exposition signage package was their most successful sign package they've ever done. It has been too long to remember the hours in each phase. I am sure I have billing records here somewhere, but I am not sure they'd want me to broadcast that information. I got permission to use the photos in the article prior to submitting the idea to SignCraft.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

My copy of SC arrived today and also was mightily impressed. LOVED the textured "P" and will get to reading the whole issue a bit later this evening. Too bad you're the "white gloved" Mike Jackson nowadays. Miss seeing the dynamic finished work ongoingly.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Doug,
Signcraft is going to put the article on line so everyone can see it even if they don't take the magazine. They are also going to include a bunch more of the images that couldn't fit in the magazine. I just checked and it isn't there yet, but I'll let people know when it's online.

I did the one "P" letter to see how far they wanted me to take each letter or sign. I could have made it even more detailed, of course, but they actually wanted to pull it back a notch and leave off the textures on most of them.

I haven't been doing too many signs lately, concentrating on trying to figure out how to make money doing outdoor photography. I see you are working on a book. I will be anxious to hear how it is going.

http://www.tetonimages.com/page1
This link lets you actually view the individual pages at the Blurb Books site.

I am working on a couple more. I'd be nice to find a publisher/distributor and make books as a primary direction to display the photos I get around here.

The Teton Images books is awfully nice. I am proud of it.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Will be nice to see the online info of your most recent SignCraft submission.

You expressed an interest in finding a publisher for your book ideas.

In this day and digital age, is it even possible to interest publishers to invest in paper book publishing?

Have things so changed that the Kindle and the iPad will be the way of the future? Will all paper books now become digital?

High Schools, Colleges, Public libraries are now turning to the new digital media to replace our beloved paper books.

Will paper books go the way of Kodak Film? iSure hope not. (little play on words there)
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Ooohhh. . .. . . really love that shot!
So graphic looking.
~Inga
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Robare,
You can click the links on the books and get to Blurb where you can click the BUY button. One of the options for each book is to buy the iBook version for $2.99. Kickin' it old school and new school already!

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Mike, love the photography and have huge respect for your talents in this as much as the MANY other things you have pursued. I also consider myself lucky not to have been a trout in the streams out your way!! I guess what I was trying to say is that designing and carrying out the project has it's varying differences/benefits...for instance...I find while drawing something out I'm conscience of what technique is to be applied. I suppose that's a much bigger discussion (which the late great Daddy Fine Gold and his main guy David Trujillo) and I had on various Conclave occasions. Your Lawyers firm (sorry I only remember the Moriarty) from quite a number of years ago is just one of them. You must have known which techniques you wanted to use before you started right? Rick's work was similar in that he applied acid or chipping in ways he could bright-line his work with some ease. Trying to get a beautiful,smooth outline around a project like Pier Pale Ales (see masterpiece section) without the benefit of something to follow is incredibly difficult. Only the small type at the bottom is executed without the benefit of an etch to follow and it's done in an easy manner. Simple lines with a blade trim at the end. I also guess it's apropos to mention this on the anniversary of his passing.....was it that long ago? Gosh...have tear in my eye just thinking back about it.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Mike,

Your photo's look so professional! I am trully impressed.
They should be placed in the National Geographic magazines.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Doug,
Back when were traveling around (before we moved here), we ran into Jim Pritchard in New Hampshire. He is a great talent, but I don't think he has been doing many signs anymore. Anyway, on the side of his truck, he had the words "Plain and Fancy". Most of his signs were fancy—at least the ones he let us see anyway. But, we stole his little slogan and used it on our sign at the shop when we set up in JH back in 1986.

Keeping the slogan in mind, we usually sold our signs to people in a manner to let the budget help dictate how much "fluff" we added to the design. So, the rough sketches were just the foundation upon which we built the actual sign. For the Silver Dollar City project, I did the P image and applied quite a few effects. But, it started out as a black and white letter. Plain would have been just a solid, flat letter, and Fancy (even within the context of design images) were just layers of effects and outlines. And, the letter I did supply could have been even more complicated with interior flourishes and patterns, etc. I didn't go that far initially, just based on our conversations and budgets. They liked the P you see in the magazine, but opted to save the expense of taking every images that far.

Maybe that answered your question? I had a general concept for what I thought they might need, but all of the images started out as basic layouts that could be built upon to fit the budget. In this case, there was a design budget and a time limit based on the number of designs needed and the time we had left to do them.

I have no idea how Dave Smith would have priced a project like his John Mayer cover piece. I'd be almost impossible to estimate how many hours something like that would take. I get a headache just thinking about it!

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yeo Mikey..... You did a pretty good job of answering the question if in fact it was one (he says shrugging his shoulders)! The long and short of all that was, yup top notch work and made this issue one of the "keeper" issues. I guess the point was how differently do you approach designwork now as opposed to the early the Moriarty Job? I guess that's self-evident. BTW The article you did on the Pritchards those years ago is one of 3 or 4 magazines wrapped in a plastic bag at the shop and more than a little worn from use.
Was also great to see a contribution from our buddy Danny B and am hoping the release coating on his panels isn't in fact helping the birds do the same on his car!! ;=)
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Douglas,
The old Spence, Moriarty, Shuster sign was a little different. I suspect we overworked that one based purely on the budget. Gerry was open to me dolling it up, so I did. The sign was for a high profile client and on one of the most traveled streets of JH. Quite a few times each week, we'd drive by and seeing tourists taking photos of that sign. The core of the sign was MDO over a 2x4 underframe, with some smalts texture. The ribbons and borders were sandblasted and added on, so that was the bulk of the dimensional treatment, other than the two carved and gilded redwood eagles.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.signcraft.com/libraries/arch ... d-Expo.pdf

I contacted SignCraft about putting the article online, which they did. AND, they added a lot of the other images that didn't get into the article because of space limitations.

Click the link above to see them.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I just got mine issue of signcraft and your illustrations were mouthdropping.
Have to finish this post now, because i want to finish reading the article :D
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Erik,
That's quick for SC to be to you by now. Just to reiterate, there are now a lot more photos at the SC site. Just use the link in my previous post in this this thread.

http://www.signcraft.com/libraries/arch ... d-Expo.pdf

Besides the Silver Dollar City article, Danny Baronian has a nice article on some routed and cast plaques he did for Tony Segale and another very good article by DAn Antonelli about some three dimensional work he recently completed. Bob Behounek has his normal eye candy, too.

MJ
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Mike, finished the article and the design looked very good and were inspirering.

Coincidentaly I email Signcraft a few weeks ago and Tom just replied me last week for my question were the old pdf files went of their past published articles. In their old website they were plain and easy to find, but now allmost all of them are gone. Since I just had the magazine for a few years I missed out of the great goldleaf articles of the past. And reorder them was not possible because those numbers were the most popular for reordering them. And the articles they publish through their website are unfortunatly of poor quality, meaning low resolution. The nice thing of print are the details and my hunger for your extra photo´s was not fullfilled, because there was not much to see due to this low resolution. I just hope they will change this after my email, but apparently with your article they did not do it yet.

The article of Danny is something I would like to try, since I ) and the rest of Nederland do/does not work in 3d. I remember the bronze plaques when visiting America and the thought of making them with this technique makes me want to start with it. But I was wandering: with 1 quart resin, 1 quart whitening and 1/4 quart of MEKP how much bronze powder would you use to give the casting a bronze look? To little and it will not look bronze and to much the plaque could brake down.

Dan Antonelli made a good point with not using photo's in your wraps, but I won an international price with a design I made for Caterpillar America where the back of a van is completely wraped by me showing the interior of the van with a mini catterpillar standing in the loading area.
I would like to know his view on this kind of use of photo's.

Seems Dan Sawatsky must make some more chalinging designs for his ultra modern deluxe 4 axis router since the heads could be sculpted by his hands in less time I guess.

Well the magazine was a treat this time and a shame I already finished it.

Erik
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Erik and all,
When you go to the SC site, there is a section called Archive Articles. I know you can view the PDF articles on your browser, but you should be able to download the same PDF file to your computer and print them out on your printer. Put in some high quality coated paper and you should get close to the quality you'd get in the magazine.

That was a nice project for me. It paid a few bills and let me do projects I like doing.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons