Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Meta Tags - Keywords - Body Text: Web Presence 104

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robare M. Novou

Meta Tags - Keywords - Body Text: Web Presence 104

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Meta Tags are Dead! Or not.

It appears from what I have read that some search engines do not rank or search for you by your meta tags or keywords that appear in the head section of your website.
And some search engines do.

What is the head section? It's the section near the beginning of your website's source code. It contains everything that is not visible when people see your site. You can see the head section when you right click to the far edges of your screen as you view the website.

After right clicking, you will see a pop-up menu from which you can scroll down to and click on "View Source Code".

A new browser window will open up with words and symbols that may look all foreign to you. If you stay near the top of that page you will see two HTML tags. One a beginning tag <head> and the other a closing tag </head>. What ever is between those two tags, will not be visible to your viewer...unless they look at your source code.

*Note, do not confuse "head" tags with "header" tags. Header tags are new in HTML5, and are for coding in, you guessed it, a visible banner header area on your website. Remember those banner ads at the top of some website, that is what I am talking about. This site has a banner heading, but is not coded using a "header" tag. This site does not use HTML5...not yet.

Browsers and some search engines use that information to find and display your site.

Google does not use meta tags or keywords to search for you.

Yahoo does.

The advice I have read is to still use keywords and meta tags in your coding. But to remember that the "Big Daddy" of search engines "Google" does not reference those items.

Google uses what's in the body of your website to list you and rank you.

What ever is in the body section of your source code is what is seen on the screen.

What ever is between the opening <body> tag and the closing </body> tag is not only seen by you and your visitors, but also by Google's search engine.
Last edited by Robare M. Novou on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Robare M. Novou

Re: Meta Tags - Keywords - Body Text: Web Presence 104

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Now that I have got that out of the way...

Let's open up Pandora's Box!

I'll probably get some hate email for this, that's if I'm right. If not, I'll have egg on my face.

Who wants to go for a piggy back ride? Who wants to stand on the shoulders of Giants?

Who wants to put Dave Smith, Mike Jackson, Larry White, and anyone else you think will help you get to the top of the rankings, in between your opening and closing body tags?

Just dwell on that thought for a while...

Type to you later.
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Robare M. Novou wrote:Meta Tags are Dead! Or not.

Google does not use meta tags or keywords to search for you.

Yahoo does.

The advice I have read is to still use keywords and meta tags in your coding. But to remember that the "Big Daddy" of search engines "Google" does not reference those items.

Google uses what's in the body of your website to list you and rank you.

What ever is in the body section of your source code is what is seen on the screen.

What ever is between the opening <body> tag and the closing </body> tag is not only seen by you and your visitors, but also by Google's search engine.
I would like to ad some pointers here if I may...
At the moment I consider myself as a google-expert, due to many lectures, texts, reading advertising researches etc.

Like Robare said google is still the main search engine. Why?
All other search engines used metatags to find and place a website in the rankings.
Ofcourse everybody wanted their website to be found and preferably on top of the rankings.
So metatags were misused and abused. Some sites placed a 1000 different keywords as metatags.
It was a jungle and then there were the boys of google; they thought how can we get the ranking more naturly organised by importance?
Meaning if i search for airplane how can i give the mayor company of TWA above the webiste of this kid who makes model airplanes when both sites have airplane as one of their metatag?
Google went into the sourcecode of each website (Robare explained what this is) and looked at links to other websites.
What is a link? If i like flying TWA i place on my website a story about my vacation and tell about TWA and give my visitors a tip to go and fly with TWA by placing a link to their website so they can make the same vacation plans.
In this way companies who are important for many people will receive more external links to their websites. And google sees and counts those external links to your website.
That is how they grew so big, because people are like cows they are followers and want to learn from tips of other people.
So in general this is the way how your site will be ranked high in google.

But there is more, because when sitebuilders found out how google ranked websites, they abused this technique also by making empty websites with only links to all the websites they made. It is like cat and mouse, we learn how to cheat the system and google has to figure out how to bypass the misuse of their ranking techniques.

So the ranking system of google is topsecret to delete future misuse.
But we know a lot of their system by trial and error and look what alteration in body text, heading and titles etc gives the best ranking.
Here the pointsystem google uses:
1. Title must contain the words (not more the circa 5 words) you want to be found with. 5 points
2. Description of your site must contain the same words. 3 points
3. Header text, same words. 2 points
4. Body text, same words. 2 points
5. All your placed photo's must contain the same words in their names, because google will read them also. 1 point
6. Metatags, same words. 1 point

In short this means that your website needs to be build with a number of pages if you have a lot of different keywords you want to be found with.

So your newly build webiste if naming is done correctly can be worth 5+3+2+2+1+1=14 points.
If nobody has linked to your website you only have these 14 points and this is were it gets interesting:
For every external link to your webiste google multyplies your points. So at the end amazon or TWA can have over a 1000 points and that is why they will be ranked on top when you type in the very commonly used word like book or airplane.

So whenever you build a new website think before you publish about the words you want to be found with and name all your titles, description, photo's etc in that way.

Since google has found out that social media is so popular and a true way of sharing tips and information, they want to use those tips made by individuals. Facebook does not want google to continue to make a fortune by using their platform and is blocking the entrance of their system by the google robots who search all the keyword information. But what is better then a social media where your own friends make tips about good and bad thinks they have experienced? So both platforms are important, but google even more; because friends are great, but more often you can not earn a buck from them.

Hope I have not intruded Robare his classes and someone learned a bit of this.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Erik and Robare,
Thanks for posting the info. From what I understand, both of you are correct if we were playing on a level field. The wrench in the system is Google themselves. They sell ranking add-ons for a fee to get you closer to the top, even if the rest of your system is lacking. Since they know their own system, they know how manipulate it to make sure the people they have paying them continue to go to the top. I just received a $100 gift card to see if I would like to let them start using the placement services.

Still, I think everything both of them said is solid and needs to be included in a web site.

A long time ago, there were dozens of search engines. (Lycos, AltaVista, etc) Yahoo was top dog for a while, but they let others grind away at their market share with their klunky methods. At one time, there were Search Engine Submission pages in which people submitted tags, links and information to their servers. It was a pain in the rear and no telling how long it would be before they actually added your site. Microsoft has Bing. I don't know much about their search engines at all. Google probably put many of the smaller search engines out of business.
Google map showing my location.
Google map showing my location.
tetonimagesmapgoogle.JPG (28.4 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
Also, maybe Robare will cover it in his #105 post, but Google offers a feature to let you add your business to their Google Maps. When someone finds your business, it will put a pin on the local map and include information about you for the searcher. I didn't have to pay anything for that service, so it is a good idea to let them help advertise for you. I believe it also helps with your . scores, even it is just another external link back to your site.

Google also offers Google Analytics. I have it but haven't spent the necessary time to learn to use it. http://www.google.com/analytics/
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

Wiki gets a bad rap sometimes for having some inaccurate info in it, but if you click the link above you can get a pretty good overview of Search Engine Optimization ( . ).

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
oatis

Post by oatis »

We do know, of course, that Google conspired with the Chinese government for a number of years to help it monitor the communication of its democratically-minded citizens, ( resulting in countless human rights violations) until the government's hacking of Google itself caused the relationship to sour. The company's "Don't Be Evil" motto has been a cute and utterly meaningless jingle since its inception.

Thank goodness there is no censorship here, and we can discuss everything to do with the internet in this open forum.

Also: I have a big glass sign in my house that needs to be claimed by its owner, and I hope this can be addressed offline, ASAP.

Thank you,

Oatis