Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gold Leaf workshop with Will Lynes, England

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Gold Leaf workshop with Will Lynes, England

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi. Here are a few pictures of a gilding workshop we had this last week with a very talented signwriter from Sydney, Australia. Will Lynes spent the week here in Torquay creating some lovely panels of glass. I designed this one panel with his name on and also some smaller panels of artwork that were sent to me from Marilyn Glawson of Rick's bottle design. These were a last minute idea to see if we could make them in around a day but not quite got them finished. At the base of the bottle we placed in some text that read In memory of Rick Glawson. I taught Will to make his own Silver for chemical deposition along with some glue chipping. We had a great week sharing the knowledge of sign art. My next trip will be to Sydney to see Will's work around his town. Good to meet you Will.
I will post some pictures of the other signs once completed. Thanks to Marilyn Glawson for saving some of those artworks.

Dave
1m.jpg
1m.jpg (88.33 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
2m.jpg
2m.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 5376 times
3m.jpg
3m.jpg (94.24 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
4m.jpg
4m.jpg (93.04 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
5m.jpg
5m.jpg (109.38 KiB) Viewed 5352 times
8m.jpg
8m.jpg (103.73 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
9m.jpg
9m.jpg (82.49 KiB) Viewed 5364 times
Last edited by DAVE SMITH on Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVE SMITH

Re: Gold Leaf workshop with Will Lynes, England

Post by DAVE SMITH »

10m.jpg
10m.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
11m.jpg
11m.jpg (57.4 KiB) Viewed 5385 times
12m.jpg
12m.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 5373 times
13m.jpg
13m.jpg (65.77 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Another great piece. and even better because (I think) working next to someone else you were able to take lots of pictures of the process. How nice for us.

So (dialect question) - is this what a "box shade" can be when it grows up?
Attachments
LynesDetail.tiff
LynesDetail.tiff (346.73 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

The "box cut" detail:
LynesDetail.jpg
LynesDetail.jpg (74.66 KiB) Viewed 5352 times
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I guess it could be Lee, various ways to go with these shades as you know. It was a good workshop, Will's a very good signwriter.
He may come in at somepoint and post his website.

Thanks Lee
Will Lynes

Post by Will Lynes »

Thanks for the course Dave... it was an inspiration and couldn't of asked for a nicer twit for a teacher.... but seriously being from Sydney, Australia and going to England to learn some stuff from an englishman was pretty hard... only joking Dave...
to be honest.... Dave was one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met.... full of knowledge, willing to share it and without attitude!!
He has urged me to get on here... and share my stuff. Being kind of new to the sign game ... I feel somewhat reluctant to show my stuff.... not really sure why, prob a lot of self doubt.... but i guess that has to end sometime... so if you have any spare time. my website is http://www.lynesandco.com ,I'd be super interested in hearing any feedback.... Thanks , Will