Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Album cover critic

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Album cover critic

Post by DAVE SMITH »

A fan of John Mayers work sent me this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3KPSh0hcTc

interesting critic, reminds me of a slimmer version of Boris Johnson, London's Mayor! at least they are talking about it. Funny how we sign painters view art differntly to some.

Dave
erik winkler

Re: Album cover critic

Post by erik winkler »

Very cool!
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Nice of you to send this, Dave. Always somewhat daunting to face the critics, isn't it?

McCormick acknowledged that you created a retro, rooted piece but in my view he missed forest for the trees. He passed over the cohesive design, use of color and iconic-period style that was masterfully executed in the artwork. His critique was that the use of things like a watch in the ephemeral pieces from the past, would have related to the actual craft - like an watchmaker - and didn't serve a purpose on the album cover. But you mentioned that in designing the cover, John Mayer specifically requested a watch & coins, which had significance for him.

Way off base for him to group your work (if that's what he was doing) along with the forgettable Carrie Underwood cover and that ghastly phallic/breast concoction.

And, though I may be revealing a lack of sophistication, I just don't see any clothes on the emperor in that tilted ocean scene. Yeah, it has a "vertiginous effect" but to elevate that one and pick yours apart? To quote him:
". . . it's cohesive because it's got that focal point right in the center, it's organic . . . but the colors are all twisted and so it's organic and like, kinda a little trippy - right?"

Hey, go back and look at the John Mayer cover, dude. It's cohesive, it's got a focal point, it's organic, the colors are appropriate and it doesn't even have to try to be trippy.

Oh well, taste is clearly subjective. I can't argue with what he's saying about that particular Edwarde Sharpe cover but I still like yours way better. Way better.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

They used the word informative at the end. Did I miss something?

Mark
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

hahaaaaaa.....i wouldn't place too much value, in fact, let's make that NO value, in what this man says .
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thankyou all. I take it with a pinch of salt this stuff. does anyone ever take this character serious? What a job to have. appreciate it from all of you.

Dave
Bob Sauls

Post by Bob Sauls »

That guy was so outta his league. He doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Mr. Smith, I showed my daughter (who was feeling down last night) your site and video after telling her about the album cover. She is a John Mayer fan.
You brightened her disposition at 1:30am. Heres a critique...your work brings joy.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Dave,
Remember, those than can "do" and those that can't "critique". Those that can, also get to critique the critic, and that guy is a joke. You'll be remembered for a long time with the trail of beautiful work you've done and that guy's books and articles will fill landfills and line the bottom of bird cages.

Using a standard set in the little clip, he thinks the music on the Underwood album will be unmemorable based on the cover. I think I'd have a good idea what to expect with the Mayer cover, but I have no idea what I might expect of the music based on the cover with the ocean at 45° and a rainbow circle in dead center.

Carry on!

M. Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Mike. Lost for words on that comment , your as bad as Dan! this is very kind of you Mike and the others here. Thank you also Bob appreciate it. .. Here is part of John's email he sent me for the brief of the cover. I have taken out alot of what was said here due to it being an email between us both but this states some of his direction on the cover back in December when we first met up to chat about this.

Dave

SO great you're interested in doing it . You're the best guy for the job, to be sure.

I'm including a digital mood board of sorts… I absolutely agree with the legibility factor. I've seen lots of portfolios where you have to refer to the title of the piece/client to understand what it says.

In this case, I would like to present stateliness without being regal or self-celebratory. Just some amazing flourishes…. Plant leaves, flowers, ribbons??? YES… Statues! Coins! Clocks!!! I just think it's the best… Would go well with Born and Raised as a theme…

John and I talked about old Ephemera Trade cards and the way they would of looked clean when new. No ageing to the art!
This was the kind of look he wanted. seems I got that bit right according this guy...lol

Thanks all of you for the comments here.
Dave
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Well, since this surfaced again, here's my 2 ¢ .

This shouldn't have been posted in the first place, as it only gives the 'expert' unwarranted credit. It's also exactly what I told Dave during a recent conversation; so no, this is not a criticism of Dave, his work or his posting.

It's really quite simple. Is this 'critic' qualified to judge art; if so, what qualifies him, has he presented a critique in a way that one could honestly agree with and learn from?

I did a quick, 5 minute google search, with search terms as photographer, artist, painter, exhibits for the ex spurt, and only found 5 books he'd authored, all pertaining to art. But nothing that even alludes to the fact he is capable of creating art. What I see from the short clip is that he's able to tell the audience what he likes, and doesn't like. Yawn.

What's that leave, an Art History major with a masters/graduate degree, with a wealthy patron or show producer that crowned him with title 'critic'?

I have better art hanging in my shop, done by my children from grade school, that is superior to his pick of blue square w/ rainbow center. Check your own walls, I'm sure you'll agree.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Danny,

I want to react on your latest post, the others and mine.
When I first saw the post of Dave and looked at the clip I thought great, so I spontaniously posted: "Very Cool!".
After reading everyones thoughts, emotions and feelings about the content and critisism of the movie, I think I am obliged to give my 2cents also.

I am one of those people who has his master degrees in art history and archeology.
That by no means that I have a degree in art critisism, in my opninion everybody who knows what he or she likes to look at or not is in its own right an art critic.
This is a broad statement, but since the devaluation of the word 'art' and artist since the fall of the academy tradition of art.
These words in my opninion have no meaning anymore, but the mere fact that it is a word for something that is worthwhile for someone.

As some of you might know I am struggeling with the concept of 'art' for years and sometimes feel sick in the stomach when i see or hear people respond on what they asume is art.
So I have my own counter and balance for what i call art and so should everybody else. Still this means that people might get heart when there quality work is compared whith rubbish of a dot of red paint on a blue painted canvas. Who is to blame, who is able to give critics. Well in practise everybody.
So please do not get upset when a dumpass is dissing your or someones work, because so many people somany tastes and so many meanings of the word art.

When i looked at the video, I thought: hey great exposure, that is great for Dave good for him.
Mainstream movies or theatrical plays which have the worst critics go completely out of the billboards when the general public catches it.
News is good, bad or worse... When you think the news in the video clip is bad, well that sucks indeed, but still it has some exposure and still there are sensible people around there who can make their own opninion and see that the work is more then the critic said.

So again: Very cool! Great that you have this exposure Dave, congratulations.
We know.... And sometimes it is better to have three good friends, then having 600 facebook friends who don't mean nothing.
Here you have way more then three critics who like your work, I would call that good work!

Erik
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Dave,
I don't know if you saw it or not, but a reporter was interviewing John Mayer on CNN. During the interview, the album cover was shown on TV. They didn't talk about the cover, but it was fun to see it on the little screen I have out in the garage. I guess he now lives in Montana. I didn't know about it at the time, but he showed up at the local Cowboy Bar a month or two ago. He jammed and sang with the band that was playing there late one night. I don't know exactly where he lives in Montana, but it is the state just north of us in northwestern Wyoming. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

Edit: Here's a link to the interview:
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/22 ... -are-over/

Take care,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

mike , thanks for the mayer link . i'm a long time fan of his, but hadn't seen the interview.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Davey....sure hope this sort of stuff isn't getting to you AT ALL! The project was beautiful has been well received by the client and am sure we're not all alone in seeing the critic as just that....a critic. He doesn't have to do anything except "look cool" for TV.... and I love Goldie's comment (and second it) that his comments are almost already forgotten and will be put to proper use lining the bottom of a bird cage.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Doug. Not getting to me one bit,Thanks anyway mate, just can't keep up with the demand here with the amount of emails to get back to daily I have to literally ignore them even though they are potentially work related that could be amazing jobs. I would normally have responded quicker here but work is piling up right now , thanks for all your support lads! much appreciated from me.

I liked the bird cage part also. lol

Dave
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I don't mind playing "devil's advocate".

The critic actually makes some perceptive observations on the album covers. He is reacting to the images and explaining his impression. All of us react to art, any kind of art, but being able to articulate that reaction is a skill in itself.

The very fact we are on this forum and love the art of hand-lettering means we all of us have our "art compasses" set to appreciate particular types of designs more than most people.

I thought he wasn't really criticizing the aesthetics of the design so much as giving his impression of what genre of music he would expect from it.

As for the other designs, I thought he made some valid observations and comments. Hey, it would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on art, wouldn't it?
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Where is the like button?
BruceJackson wrote:I don't mind playing "devil's advocate".

The critic actually makes some perceptive observations on the album covers. He is reacting to the images and explaining his impression. All of us react to art, any kind of art, but being able to articulate that reaction is a skill in itself.

The very fact we are on this forum and love the art of hand-lettering means we all of us have our "art compasses" set to appreciate particular types of designs more than most people.

I thought he wasn't really criticizing the aesthetics of the design so much as giving his impression of what genre of music he would expect from it.

As for the other designs, I thought he made some valid observations and comments. Hey, it would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on art, wouldn't it?
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu