Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

un-oiling oiled water brushes

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

David Slade

un-oiling oiled water brushes

Post by David Slade »

I accidentally oiled two sables that were supposed to be water based brushes. I tried several things but they won't hold a load of water color right.
Are they gone forever?
Doug Bernhardt

Re: un-oiling oiled water brushes

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Worry not....they're safe. It becomes a process of working the oil out in a few ways. 1st would be a good wash with laquer thinners dipped quickly into regular spirits. Gotta be careful....From there some soap and water with a bit of something smooth at the end like baby oil just enuf to soften the hairs. Warm water and a bit of soap immediately before next use in showcard colour should do the trick from there. Continued use without the benefit of brushoil will bring everything back to the new normal.
David Slade

Re: un-oiling oiled water brushes

Post by David Slade »

I appreciate the help, Doug!