Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Dry erase makers on glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Dry erase makers on glass

Post by Roderick Treece »

I have a client that would to have a decorative glass background to use as a dry erase board. Can you use the same makers and erasers on glass?

Thanks
Rich Hawthorne

Re: Dry erase makers on glass

Post by Rich Hawthorne »

I have a dry eraser/white board in my shop. So I used the pen to write something on (clear) glass. It erased pretty easily - equivalent to the white board. But two things:

Without the white background of the board it was not all that easy to see. So depending upon the background and the decoration you put on the glass, it may be hard to read. Perhaps frosting the glass or even edge lighting the glass would make it work well.

I noticed right away that the eraser/pen can easily scratch the glass. Overtime, it will certainly happen and that may or may not be an issue for your customer.

Best,

Rich
Roderick Treece

Re: Dry erase makers on glass

Post by Roderick Treece »

Thanks Rich,
I to was concerned about scratching so I think I will steer them in another direction.