Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

London Olympics

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

London Olympics

Post by Mike Jackson »

Not sure about the rest of the readers here, but I love to watch all I can of the Olympics.
It is riveting drama. Real drama—not scripted "reality show" stuff we are seemingly forced to endure now.

I have to say, I am not blown away by the letterstyle they chose for London, but I guess someone in some committee liked it.
Otherwise, the Olympic event banners, signs, props and bright colors all around are refreshing.

Go USA!

Comments welcome,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Terry Colley

Re: London Olympics

Post by Terry Colley »

That logo was very controversial when it first came out many did not like it , including me, but I think once it was out there they could not change it . In 2002 I was working for a large sign company that did most of the signs banners etc for the commonwealth games here in Manchester. What happens is that the games commitee employes what they call the LOOK team whose job it is to take the designs and incorporate them into each and every venue, flag ,bannner, sign etc.The main object is to make it all look good on TV. If you look at all the major games of the last few years you will see diiferent graphics but a similar LOOK to it all . Part of the reason for this is that the look team since Sidney in 2000 has been an Austrailian company that has done the look for all the games. When I worked back then it was an interesting insight to how it all goes together.
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the note. I was watching a little of the Olympic coverage on TV this morning while eating a bowl of cereal. Yes, I like the overall Look, feel and consistency of the signs, banners and graphics. And, it definitely has the same look and feel of all recent Olympic games. I was mainly commenting on the quirky letterstyle they chose for this Olympics. Maybe it grows on you as you see it used more, but when I first saw just the word "London" in that font, I wasn't too moved by it.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

Hi Mike
I take your point on the font, we have been seeing it for at least a couple of years now i am still not liking it. I think for most here it is just too far away from where we are in our swirly scrolls and busy designs. Though the oympics are a refreshing change on the TV
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

By way of comparison, here are some photos of what Roger Excoffon (type designer of Mistral, Choc and Antique Olive) did for the 1968 Olympics. Carl Rohrs took the pictures at an exhibition of Excoffon's work in Paris last year (I think).
Excoffon24.jpg
Excoffon24.jpg (80 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Excoffon23.jpg
Excoffon23.jpg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 6800 times
Excoffon25.jpg
Excoffon25.jpg (49.8 KiB) Viewed 6800 times
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Can't say tha I really get that logo they came up with. Just doesn't do that
much for me.
For those that are counting USA has 37 medals to China's 34.

Mark
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

As I look at the letterstyle, the one letter that doesn't seem to fit with the rest is the lower case "o". The Zero is boxy, but the lower case "o" is a perfect circle. But, what do I know.

The larger logo probably makes more sense if you live in London. I assume it is the shape of the venues of the Olympic village. If not that, maybe some can explain it?

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I never realized the jagged, block logo was really to be read as numbers: 2012

http://www.davidairey.com/london-2012-o ... -disaster/

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I never liked this logo , When it first came out I had seen some really clever designs forwarded to the Olympic commitee and they ended up picking this one. It's all over London even on some of the driving lanes, I got a ticket for driving on the olympic lane for just 2 minutes last week £145 fine! ouch! Enjoying the games though, organised very well and the stadium is apsolutely amazing! uk are doing well with the medal tally, Husain Bolt runs the 200mtr tonight along with his mate Blake should be a good one to watch.!

Dave