Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

lettering enamel over wood grain

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

anand

lettering enamel over wood grain

Post by anand »

I'll be painting a sandwich board where the design calls for lettering on a wood grain background. I'll be using vertical grain fir plywood and lettering enamel. What are the best steps to go about painting this sign? Should I clear coat the plywood first then use the enamel? Or enamel first then clear coat the whole thing?

Also, what is the best clear coat? I read some past posts which recommend oil-based, UV, etc. In the past, I used Cabot timber oil on a solid redwood sign. That has held up really well over the years but it was a carved sign so there was no enamel over/under the oil.

Thanks,
Anand
BruceJackson

Re: lettering enamel over wood grain

Post by BruceJackson »

I'd put a clear coat on first...lettering it will be smoother and faster.
Also, if you write with enamel over the raw timber, it will soak in a little, so it will not look as solid, and the edge probably won't look as crisp.

Best clear?....i think you mean...least worst....hahaha......

In fact, any of those choices you mention will do the job for a couple of years....I wouldn't get too hung up about trying to get the best solution...Some may last a little longer than others, but there is no stand-out solution that will truly give a long life.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

I agree with Bruce. But as there is no magic clear, I have found one that can work in your situation.

I've used Minwax "Helmsmans Spar Urethane" for many years. I'd apply a thin first coat and after dry, sand with 220 sandpaper. Now you can apply two more heavy coats......sanding in between. Let dry completely and letter with 1Shot. Now scuff the whole thing with a fine scuff pad and apply 2 more coats of urethane. The UV protectors in the urethane will help the 1Shot from fading badly.

Now the panel can be maintained easily with an annual re-coating of urethane. A 2" foam brush is all that is needed.

This will work and last as long as it's re-coated faithfully.

Hope this helps,

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Frank Smith

Post by Frank Smith »

What Joe says is absolutely right and sometimes I've done it the same way, right down to the same brand. Lately, I've been persuading people to go with another way if the sun will be insisting on wrecking the urethane, though. Faux woodgrain on MDO with acrylic housepaint. The cans say "Lifetime Warranty" or at least "25 Year Warranty" and 1shot never promised that. Nova mural paint might be a good choice for that, too, but I haven't tried it yet. Anyway, the lettering and some or all of the art can be done with Ronan or 1 shot and it'll be years till the lettering enamel needs an easy recoat.
Anand Gowda

Post by Anand Gowda »

Thanks for the responses. I ended up ordering some plywood with fir veneer so I'll try out the method of clear coat, enamel then clear coat again.