Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lincoln Highway mural number 25 - Lynwood, IL

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jay Allen

Lincoln Highway mural number 25 - Lynwood, IL

Post by Jay Allen »

Number 25 is about to be installed in Lynwood, IL

This one tells another story of Carl Fisher, the man who dreamed up the idea for a national transcontinental road . . . He also co-created the Dixie Highway, the Prestolite headlight company, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (shown in the small photo when the track was still dirt - his idea for the bricks also!!) and founded Miami Beach as a tourist destination.

Ya' think he had some impact on the national mania for driving . . .???

25.5 hours to paint the entire pictorial (and clean brushes) . . . Basically, this is an 8' x 18' mural.

As always, mural panel engineering and border work by the stellar Joe Marshall . . . my design and paint.

The design we presented is the first slide . . . The last is the finished mural - perspective fixed.

http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... =slideshow

Number 26 is for the town of Matteson, IL and tells the story of a local garage on the LH still in existence today . . . Project ends March 31, 2013 - 33 murals in all.
Ron Berlier

Re: Lincoln Highway mural number 25 - Lynwood, IL

Post by Ron Berlier »

Jay, as always, great work with amazing detail :!:
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Thank you, Ron . . . very much. It's been quite a learning experience . . .

Getting to be a tad of a grind now as the final month's pass. By January or February we'll be done with designs, finishing painting and everything up by the end of March.

I will then begin to slowly unwind with a moderate amount of an alcoholic drink or two . . . lol
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

This has been really enjoyable watching your project unfold Jay. You've really
elevated your level of play with this project on your lap. You should be real
proud of your efforts. I think we can say you are no longer a greenhorn painter.
Don't know how you can top this project. Hope to see some of your works
on the highway.

Mark
Cheryl Ellicott

Post by Cheryl Ellicott »

Nice work --- a little intimidating. I think I'll stick to painting things somewhat smaller and funkier (not sure how you all get such precision with your lines)... but it's nice to see that others can do it.

cheryl
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Cheryl . . . 'cut-and'roll' by using computer cut masking will get you that precision, dear. Just 'shortcutting' things on a production job . . . Efficiency.

So really this was just a freehand painting of the 3 pictorials. Even the small type on the Prest-O-Lite ad was computer generated, cut as a mask and rolled over to leave the letters painted.

This website serves to demystify the processes some of us use - and the posting of these murals is simply to expose knowledge to those who may need it or be best served by it . . . You seem to qualify. Now you know how the precision comes in to play - so now YOU design something with precision and then it isn't very hard at all . . .!!!

Good magicians SHOULD share secrets . . . but this really isn't too big of a secret . . . Good luck!! ;)