Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Signage at the Cock and Bull - Sutton

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jack Hollands

Signage at the Cock and Bull - Sutton

Post by Jack Hollands »

I came across some attractive mirrors at a pub over the weekend. When studying them very closely, I noticed that the shade was jagged along the edge, as though it was printed. Do signs like this get printed at all? The lettering is definitely hand drawn, as there are subtle differences in the letters.

Would anyone be able to shed any light on these pieces please?

There was some examples of beautiful sign-writing on the doors around the pub.
Attachments
mirror-1.jpg
mirror-1.jpg (330.84 KiB) Viewed 4721 times
mirror-2.jpg
mirror-2.jpg (294.5 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
gentlemen.jpg
gentlemen.jpg (222.45 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Signage at the Cock and Bull - Sutton

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Jack. I've seen quite a few of these Fuller pieces over the years. Everytime I get to London I'll spend time in search of these. There are sooooo many Fuller, Smith and Turner's glass pieces about I can't imagine they weren't printed over gold and silver in some manner. I've sent this link off to someone who might know more than I as I've never had the chance to see the back of one nor have I looked "THAT" closely. I certainly will on next visit.
Jack Hollands

Post by Jack Hollands »

I believe it's a silk screening process. I've been researching it some more. Designs can be painted or drawn up then made into a screen for multiple productions. Thanks for your reply!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Again....I have used that process many many times. Its the jagged edges you mention that bother me. You do get saw-toothing with direct emulsion over a course screen but at that time there's no possibility that they were doing that. Hand cut screens or a method of painting a resist on the screen is pretty likely.
Attachments
e-Warrington barmirror01.jpg
e-Warrington barmirror01.jpg (158.65 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
Jack Hollands

Post by Jack Hollands »

Wow that mirror looks identical! The print technician showed men's one screen printing she did on a window at Uni and it also had the jagged edges from the mesh screen. It's only noticeable up close and by those who care to study them in detail. So I think it's safe to say we are in te minority of people it bothers haha
Do you know what date these were produced?
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Mine is a guess only at early part of last century. Just a guess because of the Art Nouveau-ish border. We'll have to hope someone knows something more. Pretty great stuff eh?