Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Question about quils

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Padma Samchuk

Question about quils

Post by Padma Samchuk »

Hi,

I am in need of quills that have a chisel or square end to them suitable for acrylics for Arial type of lettering.

Being an artist and not a sign painter, I don't know what Mack calls them or has them numbered or listed as.

Can somebody please be so kind advise me of what they are called or listed as.

As a way of thank you , I will post a pic of the painting when it is finished.

By the way nice forum you guys got here.

Thank you

Padma
Padma Samchuk

Re: Question about quils

Post by Padma Samchuk »

27 views and not one reply.

Oh well.
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Welcome to the forum Padma,
I think you might need to say a bit more about yourself to get a reply, where are you based?
Padma Samchuk

Post by Padma Samchuk »

Anthony Bennett wrote:Welcome to the forum Padma,
I think you might need to say a bit more about yourself to get a reply, where are you based?
Well Anthony I live in the B.C. mountains in the middle of no were...a 12 hr drive to any city...so any thing I need has to be ordered from on line catalog and the Mack site, although very pretty, does not give a very accurate description of their quills as to liner, brights, chisels ect. So that is why I am here asking you guys.

This thread question is now up to 47 views and not one single answer. Is this some sort of trade secret or something?
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Hello Padma and Welcome.

A couple questions if I may.

What size copy will you be lettering... what is the lettering being painted on... glass.. wood... drywall... brick or canvas? You say acrylics that is a wide latitude of products from artist colors to enamels and latex. If you can give some more specific info. I'm sure you'll get replies that will point you in the right direction. There are a ton of very talented individuals here but I don't recall anyone having Telepathy :shock: . Arial or block style letters can be painted with One Stoke brushes and lettering quills.

# of views mean zip as non members that look in are counted but can not reply... if you keep peeking at it... each time you look... another view :lol: .

Anyway a little more info if you could... thanks Tim.

Click around here it may help you in your search. http://www.dickblick.com/categories/bru ... ameorshape
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Padma Samchuk

Post by Padma Samchuk »

Thank you Tim,

Liquitex on Liquitex on gessoed 1/8 in mahog ply
1/16, 1/8/, 3/8 and 1/2 in lines.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Padma,
Welcome to the Hand Lettering Forum,
Eventually, you will get the specific answer you need, but there are so many variables in a generic question. To get quick, concise replies, you probably need to be specific. Also, none of the people on this site are paid to sit at the computer to answer questions (as you might find on a tech support forum for a software company). We check in at our leisure at various times of the day or week and respond when we have time. As someone else mentioned, the number of views isn't necessarily a good barometer. Half of them might have been you checking in. The other half might have been lurkers that never post.

Personally, I'd write to Mack Brush or Dick Blick and explain exactly what I am trying to do and let them help me.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I just read your reponse of Liquitex on Liquitex. Almost any nylon or synthetic brush will work with some degree of success. You might find out that Liquitex isn't a particularly friendly paint for lettering signs. By the time it is thinned enough to "flow" from a brush, it will be too transparent. The Liquitex acrylic artist paints are generally forumulated to be "daubed" onto a surface in a manner similar to oil paints.

For most of the past 40 or 50 years, most signs were hand lettered with oil based paints like One Shot, Dana Color, Ronan, or Chromatic using either quills or flats. Gray quills are usually used for most surface lettering and brown quills were used more for glass lettering. Flats are usually wider and used for bigger projects like billboards.

Good luck with your lettering quest.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Padma Samchuk wrote:Thank you Tim,

Liquitex on Liquitex on gessoed 1/8 in mahog ply
1/16, 1/8/, 3/8 and 1/2 in lines.
Padma,

I'll take it you are painting a scape or scene that has some text that will represent signage in the painting. Lettering at that scale I think a small Bright would be the way to go.

Have a look... http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick ... ic-bright/.

Hope that helps you.... Tim
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Padma,
I like the water base brushes by Mack for lettering acrylic paints thinned to lettering consistency.
The 2179 series is what I use & I believe they are a synthetic/natural blend of bristles and are a very nice brush.
Try them, & try to omit the scolding next time. ;)
Good luck, & let me know which brush you choose & how it works.
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Padma Samchuk

Post by Padma Samchuk »

Thanks Jess, I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Oh and its the Mack Liner-Series 2838 that

I was looking for.
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Padma,

If you are intending to do 1/16" high lettering you might consider a pen rather than a brush. Even for a pen that is pretty small, but there are metal nib pens, felt tip nib pens, and one can cut one's own pen from bird quill or bamboo. When you're working that tiny it is easier to use ink than acrylic paint, but there are a number of lovely colors in both india ink and acrylic ink lines. Check out Paper & Ink at www.paperinkarts.com for nibs and inks.
Oh, another question might be: is the piece interior or exterior?

good luck out in the prairie....
where am i? Now, when i need me...