Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New brush quality?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Joe Morreale

New brush quality?

Post by Joe Morreale »

After hanging up my kit for a dozen years I have forsaken the computer to concentrate solely on handlettering. I have 25 years experience.

I recently needed to replenish some of my small brushes #2's and #4's. I bought what used to be (for me) excellent brushes, Solo Horton and Luco. My problem is they do not pallet well, the hairs split, they have curly hairs and are almost impossible to work with.

I remember my father used to take unruly brushes and wash them in hot water with I think hair conditioner. Has anybody heard of this? Do anybody have any suggestions?

I hate to think I have invested $75 in nothing more than stir sticks with hairy ends. Thanks

On another note after 12 years sitting in brush oil some so so brushes such as Dick Blicks and Schrarfs (sp) have improved with age.
joe cieslowski

Re: New brush quality?

Post by joe cieslowski »

I removed my incorrect advise.

Joe
Last edited by joe cieslowski on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Joe Morreale

Post by Joe Morreale »

Can't hurt anything. I'll try it. Thanks
Kurt Silva

Post by Kurt Silva »

Hey Joe, don't know much about Solo Horton but I can share past experience with Luco. Years back Luco and French Master were my choice for quills. Then I started seeing just what you described, coarse wirey, sometimes whitish colored hairs that just didn't belong in a nice Brown Quill. These hairs weren't even straight but rather wavey. Since, I've tried several brands and have found Scharffs to be a quality quill.

As for fixing a bad quill? Those wirey hairs shouldn't be in a soft quill and you are not going to make a thick wirey hair soft and supple no matter what you do to it. I found myself picking through the hairs and cutting the unruly ones off.

I'd send em back where they came from. Tell your supplier they were not satisfactory. It's always nice if you can select brushes yourself, but of course when your supplier isn't local, you take that chance you are not going to get brushes that are just the way you want them.
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

I myself have not bought a new brush for 20 yrs. I am looking into some now.
My Dad taught me to clean the Brush as if you were going to letter, comb the hair, then using a 75 watt light bulb,
slowly pull the hair over the bulb with the curled side down. As you are doing this, make sure to use your Thumb
pressing down on the Hair. As you pull the hair through, lift up on the handle. The heat with the pressure plus lifting the handle causes the hair to straighten out. Do not use to much pressure and pull at a medium speed. This will take 2-3 passes.

kb
Joe Morreale

Post by Joe Morreale »

Kurt Silva wrote:Hey Joe, don't know much about Solo Horton but I can share past experience with Luco. Years back Luco and French Master were my choice for quills. Then I started seeing just what you described, coarse wirey, sometimes whitish colored hairs that just didn't belong in a nice Brown Quill. These hairs weren't even straight but rather wavey. Since, I've tried several brands and have found Scharffs to be a quality quill.

As for fixing a bad quill? Those wirey hairs shouldn't be in a soft quill and you are not going to make a thick wirey hair soft and supple no matter what you do to it. I found myself picking through the hairs and cutting the unruly ones off.

I'd send em back where they came from. Tell your supplier they were not satisfactory. It's always nice if you can select brushes yourself, but of course when your supplier isn't local, you take that chance you are not going to get brushes that are just the way you want them.
Solo Horton was the distributor for the French Masters. I've been beating these brushes around so I wouldn't be able to return them. I never even thought of it. I will try some Scharffs. In the past I felt the greys were too stiff so I'm probably going to try a couple browns and see how I like them. The ones I have are fine for some outlining so I'll get to use them.