Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

"Flash Time"??

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

"Flash Time"??

Post by joe cieslowski »

In a previous thread, it was stated that the "Flash time was overnight" in refrence to size drying. I've been gilding (in the dark?) for about 35 years and never heard this term. Does "Flash" mean the size is ready for gilding?

On the other hand, I recently followed a thread on another board where the term was used to describe size that had dried too much to hold a gild.

I have enough confusion in my life already.......can someone tell me what "Flash" means??

Thanks in advance,

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
noelbweber

Re: "Flash Time"??

Post by noelbweber »

Hi Joe,
Flash Time to me means the amount of time an Oil Size takes to flash off or get rid of it's solvents. So it is ready to Gild. A test patch should be laid dawn at the same time on the same surface as a "test area", when this is ready if you ran your oil free knuckle across the area it would "Whistle or Sing" without leaving a mark on the surface... Time to Gild.

If Gold were laid before this time it would tend to be absorbed by the oil size, as opposed to sitting on it. This condition is commonly referred to as " Drowning the Gold"
In Love of the Craft
Noel B. Weber
Noel B. Weber
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks Noel,

In practice, I've done exactly what you describe. However, this is the first time I've heard the term "flash" used to describe the time when the size reaches the correct tack.

I guess I'm still learning.......Thank You!

Joe
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Ain't it great to still be learning....especially with all the grey hair YOU have!!
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

"ALL" ???????? :(

Joe