Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Arthur Vanson

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Chuck Davis

Arthur Vanson

Post by Chuck Davis »

Most of you have heard of Arthur Vanson's passing by now. And most of you know him as a signwriter from England, but I wanted to remind you how hard he worked on his fonts. He was a perfectionist when it came to kerning and possessed an uncanny eye for balance and weights (which is so important and yet often overlooked when making a font).

We will not see the likes of his talents or dedication again.

I am very saddened to know I will never work with him again.

I do however, feel pleased that we were able to make fonts out of the styles he was taught by his mentor Cecil Wade (and his expertly executed Mike Steven's style). And therefore, his name lives on in the 17 fonts we created together.

Thank your fellow colleagues today. Let them know that you appreciate their contributions to our craft.
Lee Littlewood

Re: Arthur Vanson

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Oh No! I was just corresponding with him in February and he mentioned nothing.

While a bit off-topic, I think this audience might appreciate what we were discussing. On his website he had this statement:
"I think most British signwriters will have been influenced by the enormous talent of Cecil Wade - lettering artist, at his peak from the thirties through to the fifties."

Since I am a huge Cecil Wade fan I wrote to him, saying how much I appreciated his kind words about Wade. He very graciously wrote back:
"The quote, from my site, about Cecil Wade, I believe to be a reasonably true, considering how few good lettering books were published in Britain at the time and how many of the quality signwriters I've spoken to worshipped his work. I think you make a very significant point in noting that he designed words and phrases rather than individual letters. I find It one of the most frustrating aspects of designing fonts - not being able to adjust letter shapes to harmonise completely with adjacent letters.

Although I wasn't around in his heyday, my father was and I understand he was one of many graphic artists working in Fleet Street and he was very well known and admired among his peers. I gather there may even have been a little jealousy also, as his work became famed due to his authorship and the outstanding quality of his design and lettering skills.

My Dad had two copies of Modern Lettering AtoZ, one for best and one we took to work on every job. If ever stuck for a suitable style, one of Cecil's would come to the rescue. His work covered such a broad spectrum of styles I cannot ever remember us being stumped for a great looking letter or layout. I believe every one of the plates from his books exudes great quality, superb skill and a truly deadly eye for design. As you may have gathered I am in total awe of the great man.

So, imagine my joy, in 2009, when I had a letter from someone who'd been apprenticed to Cecil Wade. He also found me through the website. Unfortunately, I lost touch when we both underwent some life-threatening surgery. I learned he (Cecil) was very authoritative - almost Victorian in his attitude - as an employer, but a wonderful teacher and was remembered with great warmth."

so let us raise a glass to letterers past and present, and try to push forward...
where am i? Now, when i need me...
John Studden

Re: Arthur Vanson

Post by John Studden »

Very sorry to hear that news, I emailed Arthur only a week or so a go, wishing him well, not knowing he was that ill....A very skilled old school lettering artist, very rare these days & not easily replaced.. I never did meet him, but we had phone conversations.......His name will live on in his many great Fonts......................
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California