Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lefranc original gold size.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Lefranc original gold size.

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Pat, the cans I have on hand (3,12 & 24) are all between 15 - 20 years old, and still work well.

I talked with the owner of Art Essentials when the formula after the second or third modification. It's been a long time, but as I remember the only thing that changed was the 12 hour, the 3 and 24 were the same. But that conversation was long ago. Le Franc actually did 2-3 different iterations of the formula as the 1st and 2nd failed within months of application.

Never seemed to be the same after the change, and never had the inclination to try, and the best test is longevity. I think the reason for the change was because like in the US, they faced stricter regulations, and had to meet the new VOC requirements.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

We had some of the same issues as Danny mentions as did Rolco when Chromatic was selling size. Our resin supplier was wrestling with changing regulations not to mention interpretations of the Fed. inspectors. I have some 50 year old size from both LeFranc and Hastings that still work well so I still have a fall-back position. Slow size seems to have an indefinite shelf life.

Good to hear about Rolco. I have some of the Dux waterbased which is indeed like Rolco aquasize which I preferred over Wunda for some applications. I have not seen oil or varnish based from them yet.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Found the following on Facebook. Did a quick search but couldn't find anything to substantiate the story. If anyone has anymore info, please post it here. In the meantime - buyer beware:

N Glantz:
NOTICE
APRIL 10, 2013
We are still working hard to get going.
We were badly hit by the flood stage of Hurricane Sandy. It destroyed our entire manufacturing and laboratory facilities as well as our offices with a 7 foot wall of brackish water. We are currently salvaging and purchasing equipment, purchasing raw materials and moving our operation to another of our facilities. Our losses exceeded $400,000.00 with less than $100,000.00 in insurance recovery. Quite a blow to our operation.
We expected to be in production in February, but we have yet to have all of our production, filling and labeling equipment repaired and delivered. We are hopeful that we will be in full operation sometime in May. It was a tremendous loss but we are committed to having our products available to you, our valued and loyal clients of the gilding community. Until our phones and fax are installed, we can be contacted by e-mail support@rolcolabs.com.
MOST IMPORTANT
It has come to our attention that certain individuals are taking advantage of our situation by announcing that we are out of business and they are manufacturing gilding size under a new name for the market place. They are making statements to the effect that their gilding sizes are an equal substitute for the ROLCO sizes. Such sizes are not equal to the performance of ROLCO’s QUICK DRY or SLOW SET sizes. The gilder should be warned that they may not perform in the same manner and under the same conditions as one who uses the ROLCO sizes and other products. Please be assured that when we are back in full operation that ROLCO LABS will continue to manufacture the quality sizes and gilding products that have been the gilders choice for over 60 years.
Thank you,
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Thanks Danny.
So, in other words rumors abound and the plot thickens- but not the gold size. Verrry interesting.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Good to hear about Rolco, they were always good to us and hope they can recover soon.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I'm glad i asked the question now, all very interesting!

Dave