Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Adobe going to Creative Cloud

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Adobe going to Creative Cloud

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/ado ... ive-suite/

If this page is correct, Adobe will not offer a traditional version of CS7. We'll have to pay monthly to get the updated software from the "Cloud".

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Adobe going to Creative Cloud

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yikkes!! The world changes again. Am beginning to think there is simply no way to keep up with all the changes.
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Adobe CS2 was my latest 5 disc CD Suite version until I purchased Adobe CS6 Suite on 1 DVD last year.

The purchase was made knowing that the cloud was coming. (Run for your life...the cloud is coming.!!)

Being old fashioned, I like the physical CD's.

It will supposedly be less expensive to do the "cloud" as opposed to purchasing a CD/DVD updated Suite every other year.

But that's if you have been upgrading versions by purchasing a new Suite every other year.

I don't upgrade to the latest version every other year because of the cost.

Instead of paying $1500 or so every other year for the CD suite, you now only pay a few hundred every year for the cloud service.

I am a little confused though...do you download it from the cloud or do you use it through the cloud.?

And what happens when the cloud service or your isp goes down...and you have a deadline.?...oh boy.!

And you didn't save the file in a legacy version...Double Oh Boy.!!

I'm sticking with the CD's and DVD, for now.

They should really offer it in two options, DVD or Cloud, and not limit it to just the cloud.

As with everything new...time will tell if the cloud is the way to go.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I'll throw out a few tidbits on this topic. I need to read up more on it, but did some a while back to see if SignCraft would be interested in the article.
Here's the current price for the entire Adobe Suite at B&H Photo and Video:

Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection for Windows $2250
Photoshop CS6 Extended
Illustrator CS6
InDesign CS6
Acrobat X Pro
Flash Professional CS6
Flash Builder 4.6 Premium Edition
Dreamweaver CS6
Fireworks CS6
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
After Effects CS6

For someone new, you could get the entire suite for only an initial investment of $49 for the first month and continue to use the entire suite for $49 per month. I guess that would be a heck of a deal! In my case, I have upgraded my Photoshop and Illustrator program since they were version 2.5. Currently, CS6 would be around version 15 if they had kept using the same naming conventions. Changing to CS1 a while back reset the numbers. Anyway, I have a fortune tied up in my hard copies. I'd feel a little cheated if I had to dump them to start using the Cloud. Going to the Cloud option, I would have access to the other programs, but I don't use most of them or need most of them other than Photoshop, Lightroom, and Illustrator.

Some people here might not get trapped into having to upgrade, but I have been doing a lot of photography in the past six or seven years. The Camera Raw file format has to be updated regularly to allow people to use the new camera models. Adobe often makes you buy the newest version of Photoshop to get the newest Camera Raw converters. I doubt I will be buying a new camera anytime this year, but the writing is on the wall that I'd someday NEED to upgrade even if I didn't feel currently compelled to get the newest features on an upcoming upgrade to my programs.

From what I read, once you sign up for the Cloud Service, you get to immediately start downloading the full programs. Instead of loading the programs on your hard drive from a DVD disk, you'd be getting them initially from the Cloud Internet. So, essentially that part would feel the same. But, the software regularly checks back on the Adobe servers to make sure it is licensed. That could be a problem if you are away from home and without Internet connections that let it check in regularly. They might have some options to bypass the handshakes for those kinds of situations, but I didn't get that far. I know photographers that go to Africa and take their laptops with them to do some culling and editing. I suspect high speed Internet would not be available in many areas.

I am hoping Adobe is just floating the story to see how much blowback they will get if they actually go that direction. I don't like it at all. I'd prefer to have the option of continuing to upgrade my programs and having my disks.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Robare M. Novou

I'm not sure I have all the facts on this issue, so here is something else to read about "CC" (creative cloud).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-575827 ... tion-only/

And what about "Student" versions.?

I know this sounds like whining, and that there are several cures for this next problem, but what if a customer sends you a "CC" file and you can't open it because you are on CS6 or less.? And the customer can't do anything about it, because they no longer do business with the company that made the "CC" file.

RMN

Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Well, call me cheap (I know it's true) but this is disappointing.
I bought Creative Suite years ago and simply haven't updated because of the price. I use Photoshop, Illustrator & Acrobat Pro and haven't seen a reason to justify the upgrade price yet for my purposes. I don't do a lot of intricate or high-end work with these products. Now it seems if I do decide to upgrade I'm going to be stuck with a monthly fee, though (according the the last article Robare linked) they'll continue to offer CS6.
Oh well.
I haven't messed with CorelDRAW for years. Still have my Corel5 version but don't use it :). How does it compare to Adobe? Or am I talking apples & oranges? Maybe I should go back to CorelDRAW.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I signed up for the cloud a few months ago when they had a 1 yr promotion @ $30 /month. You download the programs right to the computer and as long as you go on line monthly they keep updating and running. I wanted the opportunity to explore some of the programs in Creative Suite to see if I wanted to purchase them. I'm sure that I'll end up wanting to continue and the price will likely skyrocket once my first year is up, but it beats paying full price for the suite and finding I don't use it enough to warrant that. :roll:
The fact that their experts call themselves Adobe Evangelists rather creeps me out even though the phrase "technical evangelists" has been coined!
Last edited by Kelly Thorson on Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Robare,
Even if someone is using a new release of the Creative Cloud ....call it version CC1...they can always save the file as a TIF and it will open in CS6. TIF can safe with layers, so you don't lose any of the features. There will be quite a few speed bumps on this transition. I suspect some will jump ship and go to the competitors. CS6 will serve most people for a long time, and that's the good news. The crunch will happen when we are all forced into a newer operating system, or in my case, a new camera body that needs some of the newer drivers.

Kelly mentioned the $30 per month deal. I believe anyone with an old version will be able to get the $30 per month deal for one year, then it goes up to $49 per month. Logging in once a month to validate the install is probably tolerable, too. I remembered that part in my earlier response, but thought it checked in much more often. Currently, we can install CS6 on a desktop and one Laptop. Not sure if this will work the same? I don't see whether they will put Lightroom in the Cloud, too?

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I have the CS6 Design and Web Premium. I had to pay around $600 to update it last time from CS5. If they were to come out with CS7, it'd cost me another $600 or so. After the first year, I'd be paying about $600 to have the cloud version ($360 for the first year), so all in all, the costs might be about the same yearly.

Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection for Windows $2250 at B&H
Photoshop CS6 Extended
Illustrator CS6
InDesign CS6
Acrobat X Pro
Flash Professional CS6
Flash Builder 4.6 Premium Edition
Dreamweaver CS6
Fireworks CS6
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
After Effects CS6

For $360(first year) or $600 the second year, you'd get all of the above. And, you'd get all of the above for $30/$50 during the first month. For Photoshop users, you'd automatically get the Camera RAW updates all throughout the year and every year as long as you continued the "lease".

If you click http://gizmodo.com/say-goodbye-to-creat ... -493155052
you can see some of the upcoming new features for Photoshop. Maybe when the dust settles, it will turn out to be a good deal for a lot of people. The casual Adobe user might go elsewhere.

I don't know when the new version of Photoshop will be available, but that's probably when I'd make the jump. From what I read, we'll be able to put the software on two computers for the same subscription, too.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Lighroom is part of the cloud package Mike.
Muse looks like an interesting option for web pages for those looking to offer simple and user friendly web development.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Kelly,
Thanks for the update on my questions. Adding those to the mix certainly makes the monthly fee more tolerable.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Here is a link to what is offered. There are programs for game development, screenplays, web development and fonts, Behance and ProSite as well as Photoshop and Behance for ipods, Iphones, androids etc.
I wish Photoshop Elements was included as well because there are some things I find simpler and quicker to use Elements for.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just a quick addition from a "lesser bee". I'm still with cs4 suite and as someone who really only wants some basic features, Illustrator and Photoshop) I started to talk to myself (especially after reading this thread) about getting a Mac and crossing platforms (pronto) with my software which is almost exclusively Adobe. I'd purchased a book from a local bookshop on logo design winners and they were basically using some VERY old versions of this software 0n Mac's which seems at first glance to be much more receptive to accepting older software. Please punch holes in this theory.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Doug,
You are going to be a big winner in all of this. You can sign up for the Creative Cloud on a single program basis and get CS6 today for $10....(per month) and when CS7 (CC) comes out, it will not cost you another dime per month. Even after the first year, you get to keep updating it with all of the new features for only the $19.95 per month subscription. That's one hole. The other hole is the fact you are missing out on a lot of absolutely great features they added in versions 5 and version 6. The new Adobe Camera Raw Converter is worth the cost if that is the only new feature you used.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

You know I just don't think I could stand the idea of getting dinged every month even in small amounts. I have no concerns about paying for something outright but leasing this or that software long term just isn't for me. I have to be honest...if that becomes the only option I'll have to make a switch to something like Corel (and get used to it) no matter how comfortable I am with Adobe. Something about this just grinds me the wrong way. If however there is a choice.....
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

I know what you mean, Doug.

I get this intangible sense of someone taking control of my tools. Kind of like not having to buy lettering quills but instead pay a small monthly fee to have the "keeper of the quills" unlock them for my use. No problem until I don't pay - then my brushes are locked up again until I cough up the cash.

Maybe it's a poor analogy, especially since there are continual upgrades & features added to CS, but for someone like me - I just need a basic program (Illustrator & Photoshop) to work with. Honestly, I do the bulk of my sign work in FlexiSign and since I'm not a photographer or focus on computer graphics, I don't begin the use the tools at hand in the programs, much less need constant upgrades & add-ons.

I prefer to keep it simple I don't have a smart phone. My truck is 13 years old & should still run for years to come. I'd just like to have an Adobe program that will continue to serve me without having to stay ahead of the curve.

Maybe I'm feeling my age.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Aaron Repath

Post by Aaron Repath »

I use these programs every day, and when I was given a new work computer last month, they decided to go with Creative Cloud instead of CS6. It's really neat to be able to experiment with different programs. However, if I were doing this on my own, I'd be a little wary because I am in essence paying to use my own files every month with the subscription. I think this is going to cause the people who don't use it on an everyday basis but who still either want or need to use these programs to look elsewhere. There are a lot of alternatives now and they're getting much better than they used to be.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

It is all a matter of perspective, I suppose. When the last suite came out, I had a charge on my credit card for over $700 for the one month. That was to update CS5 to CS6 Design and Web Premium Suite. That stings way worse than paying $600 spread out over the year (and that's after the first year. the first year will only be $360 for me) and I'd get Adobe Premier Pro and Muse to go with what I am getting now. Additionally, I used to pay around $79 to update lightroom each year, which will now be included in the $360 or $600.

People can always keep CS6 on their computer until the cows come home, or until their operating system will no longer run it. The other catch is there is NO OTHER program even remotely close to Photoshop. Making the decision to abandon PS will have some potential consequences. Go online and look for Photoshop Plug-In Filters, then search for Corel Photopaint Plug-In Filters. That's just to give you a clue how universally advanced the program is right now, and by the time another company can catch them, they will already be advanced again.

Even now, you have a CD with the data on them, but you still have to have the software validated and licensed. You might technically own it, but only to a point. This is just a different way of paying for it and a different method of delivery. You can expect updates more often since they don't have to wait for an entire suite to be completed.

I'll be making the change as soon as a new version of either PS or Lightroom comes out.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Robare M. Novou

Yes, you could keep whatever version of Adobe CS you have now, never upgrade, and still make great signs from now until the cows come home. This is after all the hand lettering forum isn't it.? So break out that brush, mix up some paint, and get to it. That will surely calm down one's "going cloud" panic attack. IOAFS-Program.!!!