Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Surface gild failure.......any ideas??

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

Surface gild failure.......any ideas??

Post by joe cieslowski »

I'm getting this failure all to often...........

This is 20lb HDU primed with Jay Cook high build primer.......3 coats.....6..6..and 12 hrs dry time between coats with a de-humidifier blowing air over it. I then sand with 220 grit paper (the primer never "balls up") and then I scuff with a fine scuff pad. Then a heavy coat of 1shot w/hardener.... 12 hrs dry time, then scuff again.

I then apply a very thin film of Rolco fast size with a touch of 1shot yellow, then gild. 1 1/2 hr to flash. Patent leaf gild.

The same sign might have a plastic ornament that is painted with Krylon Fusion and gilded with the same size, at the same time.......never a failure!

Any ideas about what is going wrong?????

(The first pic is of a typical failure and the second shows the prep before sizing.)

When I make one with just painted letters instead of gilding I don't have any problems.

Thank You.

Joe
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (83.39 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
007.JPG
007.JPG (55.85 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Surface gild failure.......any ideas??

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Joe...I'd start doing a test and cut back or out the hardener. Am guessing that if the paint is surface dry and you can still smell that wiff from the hardener it is off gassing in some way. Have never used the size you mention so I would also be tempted to see if there was some change between the batches if this is a new can. I always go with slow Luna size and never an issue. It's the same every time.
Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Joe,
One thing I have noticed Up here with the Rolco Fast. If I wait for the squeak.. I'm too late.. So now I mix some Rolco slow with it. Around 15-20%.. I still squeak in less then an hour but leaves me a little more open time. And it might be something in the yellow you are adding.. Couldn't say on that as I still have a few quarts of the old Lead based Chrome yellow that I saved for surface gilding.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

I suspect you are right Doug. I believe the hardner is the culprit.

Bill, the size seems to be sticking well to the 1shot......it's the 2 together that is causing the shrinkage (I think you can see the wrinkled paint in the picture.....I tint my primer gray)

Now that I typed that, it may be that the acrylic I add to the primer may be causing an adheason problem........, so many variables.

Thank You.

Joe
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

The hardener is formulated so nothing is supposed to adhere to it after it cures. Acrylic could add to the issue, what type are you using?
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Kent,

The brand is Golden..... "made with 100% Acrylic Dispersion Polymer"

Thanks,

Joe