Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

question: shaping new brushes

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Anna Frederick.

question: shaping new brushes

Post by Anna Frederick. »

hi all,
first of all, i just want to say what an amazing fount of knowledge this site is. holy cats. i've spent a lot of time on here reading (but only just registered today) and it's fascinating, educational...just awesome.

at any rate, i'm learning sign painting on my own (for now, hoping to find someone in my area to learn from) - and have acquired some Mack brushes just to get myself started (i've got Scharff and Wrights of Lymm on my list to purchase next). i know to clean and condition them first before they touch any paint...but i'm wondering about the "shaping" of them. the wire twist on the ferrule -- is that supposed to be on the top or side of the flat of the brush? i've not been able to find anything to tell me for sure; i'm hoping one of you might be able to help.

thank you again for sharing your experiences and wisdom with those of us just getting started.

Anna
Bob Sauls

Re: question: shaping new brushes

Post by Bob Sauls »

Anna, I have been returning to see if anyone had any sage advice for you about shaping your brush. I shall give you my take only if you accept that it is my best guess and not sent down from on high.
I honestly do not know if the twisted wire on the quill has a set position in regards to the "flat" side of the hairs.
I have always simply paletted them and the flat side will simply find its place. After I wash the paint out of the brush I palette motor oil into the hairs thouroughly. I then lie the brush dopwn on a flat surface to match the flattened brush. If the twist falls on a flat side lie it on the opposite side with the wires sky-ward. If I am going to put my brushes away for a long time... rather than motor oil I go with vaseline and find the natural chisel shape with my fingers.
I am ready to be corrected?
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Great question and Bob also has my method....once you use it for the first time, which may require getting the size (if there's a stiffness in brush not to be confused with gold size) out of it with a wash in warm water and letting dry. It will naturally find an edge in first use and keep it in oil after from then on. Some people use a paint roller tray etc. My only difference with Bob is using neadsfoot oil for this rather than motor oil. It's a non-drying oil so make sure the brush is well rinsed in paint thinner (varsol in Canada) before each use. Finding an old time sign writer in your area willing to mentor you is ideal.
Anna Frederick.

Post by Anna Frederick. »

fantastic. i wasn't entirely sure -- very much appreciate the info, guys! thanks!