Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Back-lit Sign

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Aaron Aziz

Back-lit Sign

Post by Aaron Aziz »

So three years into my sign business I am still finding new aspects of the industry that I need to troubleshoot ;). I have done numerous sign cabinets with artwork done on new Plexi glass or acrylic depending on the application. A company that I have worked with before has recently moved to a new location and I have been hired to change the art work on a translucent white formed plexi face. The art work has already been approved. Upon my removal of the old vinyl I have found that I have bright white ghosting under where the original art work was. I am wondering if I can buff or sand the plexi and remove the ghosting as the budget of the build doesnt allow for replacement of the faces.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Robare M. Novou

Re: Back-lit Sign

Post by Robare M. Novou »

If my memory serves me right...

White Translucent Plexiglass does not yellow when exposed to U.V.

And White Translucent Lexan does.

If you can't convince your customer to upgrade to a new face, you can remove most of the yellowing with easy off oven cleaner.

And yes, you can rotate the sign face so that the top is now the bottom before applying the new graphics.

In time, the small amount of yellow and fresh white still showing will all even out into a nice yellow haze.

For the past several years they have been putting a clear membrane on the lexan to lessen the yellowing. It's only on one side of the Lexan. Don't remove it, just put your graphics over it.

There, my better and correct memory has returned.

RMN
Last edited by Robare M. Novou on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Aaron,
I'd take the two panels down to the client, or have them come by. Show them the yellowing issue and let them decide if they want you to proceed with lettering over their yellowed backgrounds, or let them pay for new materials if they don't want the old panels reused.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

You removed the old graphics but have you cleaned the panel? All outside signs will get environmental haze film on them. I've found that washing the face with Simple Green and a scotch brite pad makes a big difference. Won't remove UV imprint but removing the grime and flipping the panel is standard practice.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Aaron Aziz

Post by Aaron Aziz »

The face is a formed face so I cant turn it inside out as normally could be done with a flat sheet but I definitely appreciate your guys insight into this.
Thanks!
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

So it's a pan face... matters not. By flipping it over... you take what was once the top of the sign face and make it the bottom. So if the ghosting read MOM it would now look like WOW.
But then you place your new graphics on it would not jump out as much as it will if not rotated.

Good Luck
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

I have edited my reply...as my better memory has returned.

Sorry for the previous error in advice given.

All is correct now.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com