Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Mirroring glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Mirroring glass

Post by Roderick Treece »

I thought I'd start a post dealing with issues regarding mirroring glass.
I recently had the pleasure of having Dave Smith come to my studio to give me a lesson in mixing the chemicals for pouring silver mirroring. It was a great time and a big help .Unfortunaly to short of a time though. In my experimenting as of lately I am getting better at it but I am still falling short of getting a perfect mirrored finish. I just did another round of testing with the chemicals that Dave and I mixed by hand for pouring. I was able to get fairly good results except for this white milky stain you can see on the back. The stain is very faint on the front. If you have any ideas let me know. I feel I am sooo close.

I all so did a spray sample that came out perfect which tells me the cleaning and tin were perfect.

Any suggestion would be very helpful

Thanks
Roderick
Attachments
Mirrorproblem1.jpg
Mirrorproblem1.jpg (353.08 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Mirroring glass

Post by Danny Baronian »

I know what the white ghost is on your glass, AND I know what you we're snacking on.

Next time, refrain from eating Dolly Madison's Powdered donuts prior to blowing on the glass. Static electricity from prepping the glass will just draw that powder right onto the glass!

Either that or you kissed the glass and left your KISS lip / tongue impression, in the dumb notion that it would 'bless' the glass. It won't.

On another note, you did a spray sample, with the same chemicals? If so, it's not the chemicals, my guess would be the cleaning, though knowing you, you have the cleaning down.

Were the spray and the poured samples done in the same place? Was a fan going with one and not the other? Did you throughly rinse off the tin solution, followed by distilled water?
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Tyler Tim

Re: Mirroring glass

Post by Tyler Tim »

Danny Baronian wrote:I know what the white ghost is on your glass,
Me too.. First the eyes in the RL piece and now the hallow in this one. Someone it looking in form the other side.
Attachments
Mirrorproblem1.jpg
Mirrorproblem1.jpg (307.05 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock: