Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

reverse gilding inside of an outline, (european method)??

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

david benzler

reverse gilding inside of an outline, (european method)??

Post by david benzler »

Hey guys, Started a reverse glass sign the other day that required an outline, unfortunately I got my paws all over the glass like an amateur, and was wondering, if once the backing painted outline is completely dry can i (re)clean the window with cake bon ami, then gild as usual? any advise greatly appreciated..

David
Doug Bernhardt

Re: reverse gilding inside of an outline, (european method)??

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Should be no problem as long as you're not so vigorous as to remove the outlines and are using one of the appropriate cleaners. There is an excellent section somewhere here on the necessary materials etc. Good luck on the job
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

You don't really need Bon Ami for that, 0000 steel wool to knock down the edge, then a glass cleaner is OK, just add a couple drops of Ivory washing up liquid to the water size, this will help pull the Leaf to the line & will not cloud your Gild...there will then be no gap between the gold & the painted line.....I have described this method on here previously, Just use the Bon Ami for cleaning the glass initially, remove any excess gold from the job with a "Jordan Brush"..........Good Luck
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
david benzler

Post by david benzler »

Thanks Guys, Here's the finished product. Kind of a lot of challenges for my first commercial job, but I learned a lot, And it was super fun. I'm definitely hooked..

David
Attachments
1186286_10201468197440954_1293102645_n-1.jpg
1186286_10201468197440954_1293102645_n-1.jpg (308.14 KiB) Viewed 8279 times
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Very nice job David. I like the tag line.Where are you located ?
david benzler

Post by david benzler »

hey Roderick, dang! what an honor to get praise from you man! I seriously must have watched your video ad on you tube a hundred times.. I seriously must thank you profusely as well as Dave Smith, for keeping this stuff current, and making such inspirational work.. Thank you, seriously.

I'm located out of San Francisco, and I know there's already some dynamite crews getting work here, in all honesty, I feel like i'm already a little too old to get into the game, but I can't help myself.. I think I saw you at the Sign Painter premier down town a while back.. Anyway, yea, I would love to apprentice, but I find that it's hard to crack into that. I got most of my stuff from Ron up at Letterhead, and have been asking him questions when I run into trouble. He and Kristi have been very helpful. I just got Kent's book, and the supplies, then did about a books worth of 12k practice runs before this job. The shop opens tomorrow, but I still have the other window to duplicate the process, fortunately, now my "gold eyes are on", and my confidence is running a little higher... Anyway, yea, trial by fire.. It was pretty strenuous at times, and I definitely got frustrated a bit, but I'm proud I saw it through. Now hopefully it doesn't get washed with warm water and slide off the window.. ha!
Thanks again Rod.

david.

davidbenzler.com
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Another tip to cleaning glass in this circumstance. You can use a microfibre cloth.

I do my initial thorough glass clean with whiting (does the same job as bon ami)...but after that, if there's any fingerprints or touching of the glass, I give it a a rub with one of those cloths. I use one specifically for glass. You can also use it slightly damp. Works brilliantly.
david benzler

Post by david benzler »

Thanks Bruce!! thats great!
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Nice work, David!

I've no idea how old you are but since you mentioned it - you're never too old to "get into the game".
We all start these things at different stages in our lives & careers and each of us brings to the task a different set of gifts, skills & experience. Sounds to me like you're doing all the right things and your first commercial job is evidence that you're among the few who are willing to take things to a different level.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios