Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Question for Dave Smith (or Rod? Noel? John, etc)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Susan Banasky

Question for Dave Smith (or Rod? Noel? John, etc)

Post by Susan Banasky »

Dave Smith, you just posted on Facebook, a gorgeous drawing for a soap company.
I realize there are many facets to each piece you do, much of the detail is done separately from one another.

My question is how the heck do you transfer that gorgeous rendering from a pencil drawing to the image on glass? Do you scan it, size it and make a film positive for screen printing or ????
How do you get all that tiny intricate detail on the glass so perfectly??
Thanks for all your posts....they are so educational and inspirational.
Susan Banasky

Re: Question for Dave Smith (or Rod? Noel? John, etc)

Post by Susan Banasky »

:D Never mind....Dave has responded.
Thanks so much Dave.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

.... and the answer is??
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

..... inquiring minds want to know.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Susan Banasky

Post by Susan Banasky »

What I had referred to can be seen on Dave Smith's Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/chapman.and.smith Around Oct 1, find his Eco Soapia Soap Drawing (it is incredible!). Have a good look at the close up photo...it is so intricate. :!:

Here is Dave's response to my question:
There are several ways to reverse this onto glass. If I make this panel it would all be hand done by tracing through the sketch onto gold and then hand painting the transferred line, any fine detail could be screened. The girl would be verr eglomise and the lettering etched which gives you a line to go to when using the brush. I could go on with so many different approaches but this is one way I would go. If you didn't want to paint directly to the gold then you could paint onto some coda trace or white card and make a screen of the entire piece which you would then print directly onto the back of the gold. Some ideas. Thanks.