Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Old sign kit

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Terry Colley

Old sign kit

Post by Terry Colley »

B Hearnes 1948 book "The art of signwriting" refers to a essential kit for the signwriter of a metal box with drawers and 4 tin bottles 1 for turps 1 for varnish 1 for linseed oil and 1 for gold size the line drawing from the book is shown below. I also seem to remember seeing one in an old Wrights of Lymm catalogue from the 1950s. However when I started in 78 they had long been discontinued. I have never seen one until last week when 1 showed up on the auction web site and I got it for £25. On its way by carrier pigeon I am looking forward to restoring it and using it
Attachments
box2.JPG
box2.JPG (261.75 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
box1.JPG
box1.JPG (290.41 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Robare M. Novou

Re: Old sign kit

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Nice Find, Treat It Well and You Will Be Well Treated.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Terry Colley

Re: Old sign kit

Post by Terry Colley »

Just arrived in this morning , made my day, it is very neat and compact a few bits inside, some intenso black still soft in the tube and the previous owners card, the phone code on that indicates that this was in use before the late 1950s when the new codes came in google search did not reveal any more on the company but I will contact the seller. The pallet shape indicates that he might have been a lefty. The last pic is it in it's new home, not sure now if I should restore it or just leave it as is , I will use it though
Attachments
box4.JPG
box4.JPG (342.6 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
box3.JPG
box3.JPG (277.13 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker