Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Oil paints and Enamels

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Julio Cesar Germano

Oil paints and Enamels

Post by Julio Cesar Germano »

Hello good folks!

I've been having a hard time trying to find decent enamels for glass work. There is nothing along this line down here...
Any and all enamels I found, are very low pigmented paints and it's a given you'll be doing multiple layers to cover whatever your trying to paint. I've been able to practice the basics, but can't produce anything worth selling/showing off without layering strokes on top of each other... >:(
Also buying stuff online is really really difficult because most paints are not shipped overseas because of them being hazardous/flammable.

Which brings me to the following question: Is it possible to raise the pigmentation on these crappy enamels by adding art grade oil paints to the mix? I assume the drying time would go up, but anything goes right now...
I'll probably try it anyway because there are some very cheap oil paints, but was wondering if anybody ever did it...

Thank you for any insights.

JC
I've started calligraphy as a hobby a couple of years ago and, from there, stumbled upon
the wonderful world of lost arts - pinstriping, chalkboard art, hand-lettering and sign making.

From Brazil.

Julio Cesar
Kent Smith

Re: Oil paints and Enamels

Post by Kent Smith »

If the enamel is made with a conventional resin such as alkyd then a qualified yes. Pure artist oil color can be added to enamels. Mix in slowly, adding small amounts at a time. Consider adding complimentary colors for better coverage. Do not add more than 1/2% by voume of additional dryer to the mix. To allow for better infusion, a small amount of clear can also be added which will make the dryer work better. It is also possible to blend the color into a clear and then add it to the enamel for better dispersion.

Having said that, if I remember correctly, there was a supplier in Sao Paulo who carried 1Shot.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Hello Julio,

I once heard from a Dutch oldtimer that he bought the paint and opened the can without stiring and on the top of the paint is the layer of medium floating. He flushed about 15-20% of the entire volume of the new paintcan in the waist and then mixed the paint thoroughly and added a few drops of terpentine to get it to a well brushable mixture.
After 15 years the paint was still in good condition outside.

Good luck,
Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Julio Cesar Germano

Post by Julio Cesar Germano »

@K. Smith
I can't find anyone in SP who sells higher end enamels... I'm just looking for some time to try the oil paint mixing. Will post the results.

@E. Winkler
Old timers are bloody geniuses... It kills me that I hadn't thought of that O.o....

Thank you both for the responses. Will definitely test them in the near future.

Sincerely

JC
I've started calligraphy as a hobby a couple of years ago and, from there, stumbled upon
the wonderful world of lost arts - pinstriping, chalkboard art, hand-lettering and sign making.

From Brazil.

Julio Cesar