Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Proper Introduction

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Scott Martin

Proper Introduction

Post by Scott Martin »

Good day all

Thought I'd better properly introduce myself before posting any further...

My name is Scott Martin from Puslinch Ontario Canada. I learned and earned the ins and outs of signwriting in the late 70's and 80's, exiting from a business perspective until a couple of years ago when my sons Simon(23) and Matthew(17), became very curious as to why/how their dad knew how to pinstripe and number a bunch of vintage road race motorcycles. I put them through the paces as I knew them, line after line of sweet boring practice :D and in late 2012 started a signwriting company specializing in the "by hand" aspect of sign making.

This forum and the whole premise of the Letterheads is amazing and has made my job that much easier. The unbelievable array of talent and information herein is simply astonishing and inspiring. I look forward to participating, sharing, and learning.

Thank you,
Scott
Joe Morreale

Re: Proper Introduction

Post by Joe Morreale »

Hi. I also learned the old way in the '70. I painted billboards, shocards, trucks and glass gold.

When computers took over I became a "computer guy" around '92, and put my brushes down.

The past 3 years I have been doing nothing but hand lettering and it gives me great satisfaction. I would work for free just to stay in practice.

It amazes me the lack of recognition of talent we're given by the general public. It hard for them to fathom how much skill it takes to letter a nice one stroke lettering job.

I moved to a small town and I believe that the novelty of hand lettering will be desired. Hopefully I will get a chance to showcase my talents.
Scott Martin

Re: Proper Introduction

Post by Scott Martin »

Agreed Joe. The desire certainly is on the rise. A lot of our customers so far are in there 20's or 30's who grew up in the digital age, with a new and keen interest in old school craftsmanship. Nice to see happening and be a part of. Enjoy and the best of luck.

Scott