Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

1st Glue Chipped Panel

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Tyler Tim

1st Glue Chipped Panel

Post by Tyler Tim »

Hello,

Well it's been a long cold winter so far... and must of had a bit of brain freeze to just jump in with both feet and chip this as a first try at it.

Like I said it's been cold about everywhere this year and my cabinet is in truck building so no real heat to speak of, but we had a day when the temp came up to near 30 so it felt tropical outside. I grabbed to panel and headed towards the blaster. Frosted the copy and deep etched the center boarder.... open the valve on the tank to bleed and drain any water and headed to my little shop. Washed the panel off and let dry then cut in asphaltum around the frost. Next day I mixed up 1 oz of glue to 2 oz of distilled water and place in small glue pot covered, while it soaked I leveled up the glass bed and then bridged the glass over my little oil filed electric radiator style heater on med low to warm the glass up. After heating the glue I moved the glass back to the level bed then I took a small plastic syringe loaded it with warm glue and filled in the centers.. being careful I was able to control the flow and get a nice dome of glue up to the asphaltum lines. I had a bit of glue in the pot and ran a single bead of glue in the deep etched boarder frame keeping it from touching the wall after I did it I thought that was a bad idea but let it ride. Unplugged the pot and turned the heat up to med high and went in for the night... next day I thought it be at the clear hard state when I came in but it was all nicely curled up and chipped... even the bead had popped up with a nice light chip effect. Now the temp was around 65* in the shop when I came in with outside temp in the low 20's. What can I say.... beginners luck.

So after cleaning off asphaltum I triple gilt the main copy backed up and out lined... next I painted the pin lines, scrolling and boarder frame with fast size when it tacked I used gold dust and skewing saved up last year and dusted the lines and boarder. Painted drop shade with dark brown and secondary copy with ivory... backing the whole thing but the window with med brown. Then the whole piece was given two coats of shellac and backed up with a gray acrylic enamel except the clear widow for the pictorial. The picture is a hand colored photo keeping with the 30's theme. Will have to get some better photos when the batteries charge back up... cool in the shop with a whopping 1* outside hard to keep it warm.

So here's the outcome... :shock:
chip3.JPG
chip3.JPG (105.05 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
chip2.JPG
chip2.JPG (91.5 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
chipA.JPG
chipA.JPG (111.57 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
The close up was done with a flash so a bit harsh but does show the chipping.
If you look close you can see the chipped bead in the boarder.

Will try and get some better photos... getting good ones is harder then painting on glass!

Also the small amount of glue left over in the pot dried amber hard... can I break it up and rehydrate with new glue added?

Tim
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Roderick Treece

Re: 1st Glue Chipped Panel

Post by Roderick Treece »

Nice job Tyler ! I never scene anyone do glue chipping without a brightline before. It looks good like that. Keep it up !
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Hi Tim,
What media did you blast with and what was the grit size? I find courser grit yields a brighter gild background in the chip area.
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Hi Roderick,

There is a very thin brightline the flash washed it out and made things look brassy... still struggling to get good photo's. These where some quick offhand shots I took to send to Dave as I had mentioned I was working on it and he ask me to send some over when it dried. The camera died after these had been taken and charger is slowly resuscitating the batteries. Will set up and hopefully take some better pix's.

I'm itching to try another clipped piece so hoping the temp comes up soon it's bitter cold to where your hands sticks to metal. :shock:

Pat... firstly I believe it was your birthday yesterday. Hope it was a good day for you and Mike that goes for you today.

As for the media it's a garnet, mess it about 100-120 I believe. It looks better in person... like I said I'll try and get up some better photos. What type media do you use?

Oh the puck of dried glue any advice on that?

Thanks Tim
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Scott Martin

Post by Scott Martin »

This piece looks great Tyler! Great colour combination.

Scott