Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Reverse job on double-glazed windows

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Lorenzo Petersson

Reverse job on double-glazed windows

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

Hello fellow Hand Letterers!
Im still going strong, my one man operation of learning and working simultaneously is slowly growing and i have my third reverse glass lettering job lined up for next week, yay :)

I was hoping that maybe someone might have some input or experience in doing reversed glass jobs on sealed double and triple glazed windows, im not sure i've found the correct english term, but i mean those windows that have several sheets of glass in a single frame for energy saving purposes.

I have a client who asked me to do their studio logo (white, lapis lazuli blue and antique red so its pretty somber) and they have the aforementioned type of frame and its not possible to access the outermost sheet.

I was wondering wether i should brighten my colours a little to compensate for the extra layers of reflective surface in front of the paint, im pretty sure it will come out with slightly less "oumpf" if i dont, not drawing the eye quite as well.

Any thoughts are welcome!
BruceJackson

Re: Reverse job on double-glazed windows

Post by BruceJackson »

only one way to know...put a smear of paint on the back and go outside and take a look...only way to assess if you need to adjust the color.

I sometimes do this with pale colors, especially white, and will sometimes adding a little extra red to counter the green cast of standard float glass.

You can't control a shop window, but for studio work and paintings on glass, i will choose low iron glass for high value projects or ones that have white areas.
Lorenzo Petersson

BruceJackson wrote:only one way to know...put a smear of paint on the back and go outside and take a look...only way to assess if you need to adjust the color.

I sometimes do this with pale colors, especially white, and will sometimes adding a little extra red to counter the green cast of standard float glass.

You can't control a shop window, but for studio work and paintings on glass, i will choose low iron glass for high value projects or ones that have white areas.

Of course, wouldnt have thought of it but it seems so obvious now. Im going to need a pair of glasses for my brain i suspect.
Yes, a dash of red it is! Im going in a few days and will do a field test.

Good advice on the low iron glass too!

Thanks!
Lorenzo Petersson

Sorry guys, forgot to post how it actually turned out. We agreed to make the blue a bit darker for contrast.
Tried adding red in the white and i thought it looked a little more subdued somehow, and the standard white wasnt affected as bad as i thought by the greenish tint of the glass so i opted for unmixed white, turned out nicely.
The original design was made by the customer and was available in about a fourth of the size i needed, i'm not sure if it's a font originally, but i had to tweak the proportions of the M and T a bit to make it work like a monogram.

Im a poor photographer and an even worse photo-editing-person so the white outline looks a little gray here, but walking by its really popping!
Attachments
mct-window1.jpg
mct-window1.jpg (196.01 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Looks great, Lorenzo! Nicely executed.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Lorenzo Petersson

Dan Seese wrote:Looks great, Lorenzo! Nicely executed.
Heartfelt thanks Dan!