Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

ClearCoat over 23k Goldleaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kevin W Betz

ClearCoat over 23k Goldleaf

Post by Kevin W Betz »

I am doing a wood transom tomorrow.
It will be 23K, non-burnished, with a
Red Outline & Black Shade.
The customer will Varnish over the Job.

1- Would you Size, Gild and Clear the Gold ?
2- Size, Gild, Outline Red & finish the Black
Shade, with no Clearcoat ?

My thought is after he applies the Varnish over the Gold &
Paint, the Varnish should not affect anything.
Kevin
Lee Littlewood

Re: ClearCoat over 23k Goldleaf

Post by Lee Littlewood »

(sorry to be late, you will have the job done by the time this is posted..)

My feeling on gold leaf is that you try to NOT overvarnish it - the color is dulled and the longevity is compromised.
But if it will be rubbed (as on a vehicle or boat) then I like to spin the gold first. My imagining is that the velvet makes a series of tiny circular dents in the gold, like a vinyl record but much smaller, and when the clearcoat goes over it the little valleys act as lenses. In any case, spinning makes up for some of the lost brilliance.

On boats I would do as you suggest in (1): size, gild, (spin,) overvarnish and let dry. Then when you come back the gold is protected and if you make a mistake your paint can be wiped off without affecting the gold. That is of course the coward's way.
If you go with no varnish, as in (2), then one needs to check what kind of clearcoat is being applied - the size under the gold does not cure as fast as the other paints. But it does mean that all the clears are the same, which should be a good thing.
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Hi Lee.

Thank You for your response. After talking with the customer, I opted
to size, leaf, burnish without Engine Turning and Shade 1st Day.
I then Cleared with Sikkens and Outlined the Red on the 2nd Day.
They did not want the Spin in the Gold, they wanted the Matte finish look.
I cleared the Gold because he said that would help him when he applies
the Varnish. Since it is a New customer, I felt by clearing the Gold, no
harm.
Attachments
Current Fling.JPG
Current Fling.JPG (301.71 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Nice job. And with the shade dry you can clean up the edges with the red on 2nd day.
Good to see the boat is indoors.

When you were wiping off the extra gold did you do the final wipe in a horizontal direction? It's not really spinning, but even a light wipe with velvet or cotton will leave some micro-scratches, and most inscriptions read better if they have a horizontal 'grain'.
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Yes Lee, I lightly wiped left to right.
What kind of Clear do you use, if needed ?

Kevin
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

If the boat owner is going to be applying more coats, i will try to use what they use so it will all be compatible.
If I am the last coat I'll go with a good marine varnish with UV protection - a 'spar' varnish or 'n's' varnish.
The automotive clears may be even better but I don't know enough about them.
Lorenzo Petersson

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

Nice work!

Just a curiosity:
Was the transom already coated in some kind of varnish or did you work directly on the "naked" wood?

Two reasons for asking:
1) I keep thinking it'd look pretty cool to do a job like this on top of a few millimeters of transparent surface, so as to seem floating just above the "surface" (I cant get enough of those optical illusion effects) or if working on varnish is counterindicated in these cases?

2) i remember my dads buddies all had wood boats with about ten or fifteen layers of varnish and they sanded the varnish down at least three or four layers after every season and redid them, i dont know if they were just overly protective, if there were environmental abrasion issues (these boats sailed both the Baltic and the Atlantic) demanding it or if it's "just how its done". Im thinking if your job is close to the surface or if it's safely tucked under...

As i said, just curious, i've been thinking of offering services to boat-people when i've honed my skills further :)
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Hi Lorenzo.

The Customer had applied a couple coats of Varnish, not sure how many,
then sanded it to remove the Sheen. This helps the Size to adhere as well
as the next coat of Varnish. I am sure the more coats of Varnish over the Lettering
would achieve the look you describe.

Kevin
Lorenzo Petersson

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

Allright, yes, makes sense :)
Thanks!