Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

question about surface gilding and sealer...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

vance galliher

question about surface gilding and sealer...

Post by vance galliher »

i'm gilding some molding attached to cabinet panels with 12k white gold. surfaces will be completed/finished w/lacquer coat when i get them. i'll tape/size...next day lay roll leaf. these cabinets are for a private residence backbar and will be cleaned, so i need to seal. urban from W&B Gold Leaf (Wehrung & Billmeier Co.) recommands a sealer he carries which i'll use. my question is how long should i wait after gilding before applying sealer ? thanks for replies...
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Lee Littlewood

Re: question about surface gilding and sealer...

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Hey, that's easy - after about 6 months quicksize is pretty much cured (at least you can't scratch it with your fingernail) so I'm pretty sure it is not very reactive to an overcoat.

Oh, what, you want it When?? I guess I'd just think the longer the drying time the better, plus a bit for warm (maybe heatlights at a distance). You might do a test as soon as you get the sealer. And there is always shellac to make a bit of boundary layer.
You didn't mention if you will be tinting the gold. Nancy at Gold Leaf Restoration will lay gold on quicksize, then tint it with japan colors in mineral spirits, then spray shellac, then clear with automotive 2part clear (DuPont, I think). All in a couple of days.

PS: don't forget to break the gloss on the lacquer finish before you apply size. 0000 steel wool should be enough, used dry or wet.
where am i? Now, when i need me...
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

no tinting (?) nor spraying will be involved. i'll be using slow size so i can gild next day. lee, do you have nancy's number ? perhaps i could call her and she could answer my questions.....thanks
vance
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Lee's advice sounds good to me.

Personally, I've never found clear coating to be an issue, because the layer of metal is a pretty good barrier in itself.

The one thing that can happen if the size is still too soft and there are any breaks in the gilding, these cracks may swell into fine hair-like lines

I'm usually happy to go straight over quite freshly laid leaf. If brushing on a clear coat, I'd just allow for an overnight dry and brush gently with minimal working over. One stroke if possible, then move on.
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

thanks for replies... bruce, lee called me yesterday and suggested using quick rather than slow size because of the "slow" curing time long after i lay my leaf. do you have any thoughts about that ?
vance
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Hi Vance,
Yes, I always use quick size.

I use a locally made one by Viponds, which is ready to gild after around 45 mintues and may last up to about 2 hours if on the cool side. I gather it's pretty similar to One-shot's quick gold size, but I haven't actually tried that brand.

I suppose quick sizes are a little less forgiving with the timing, but you can allow for that without too much effort. I just keep sizing a manageable amount ahead and keep checking back, following with leaf an hour or so later..

Two things can catch you out. One is initially applying too much size too quickly. Once you start laying leaf, depending on what your doing, laying the leaf can take as long or longer than painting the size (especially 3D shapes/mouldings)...so you have to hold yourself back a little for the first hour until you start laying the leaf.

The second trick is timing yourself for a break. You have to plan ahead when you want to stop for lunch.