Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Need an industrial revolution grinder and buffer?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Need an industrial revolution grinder and buffer?

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Sorry about the photo being large, but it is being linked from the auction.

$1500 would probably be a bargain if you had a place to put it and liked those old pieces. Looks like it really should go to the Smithsonian. As you can see, it comes from Rick's estate. OSHA might have a hissy fit with all the exposed belts.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kent Smith

glass equipment

Post by Kent Smith »

Boy that would be fun to have but I don't think it would get much use for the price. Great memories of playing with it and those will have to do I guess.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Thanks for the post Mike.I will be moving the machine to my studio in San Deigo so any body that wants to visit it your welcome.
I am wondering ,if you look at how Rick had the (what I'm calling the counter balance arm) long arm that comes off the motor on the floor,could you mount that up in the air?I'd like to save the floor space.From what I can see in the pictures and what I remember about it if it was installed properly it wouldn't matter.

Roderick
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Roderick,

nice to know where it went.

The shaft on the floor is a drive shaft and is used for running multiple machines. When Rick installed it he either planned on setting up the other two or didn't want to cut it down. If it was ceiling mounted, you'll probably have to have a transition pulley for the other two machines since the belt needs to go from a vertical to horizontal position. Typically a vertical to horizontal placement of the belt was accomplished by just twisting the belt.

I've seen this system run as pictured, both on the ground, and on the ceiling. I'd suspect it was easier to mount onto the floor. Other than ease of changing speed with the floor mounted unit, it would work either way.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com