Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Shell Gold for glass work

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Shell Gold for glass work

Post by Roderick Treece »

I have just learned about Shell Gold but haven't found anyone with experience using it on glass.For those who might not know about this here is a description.

Shell Gold is pure 23.5K gold powder, which is suspended in gum arabic and then dried into tablet size watercolor cakes. Just as in watercolor the tablet is wetted with a brush and can then be painted into small detail areas.

Ideal for retouching gold work on paintings, frames and gilding, as well as for calligraphy, illumination and other painting techniques. Dissolves easily in water.
Attachments
imgres.jpg
imgres.jpg (7.55 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
Kelly Thorson

Re: Shell Gold for glass work

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Hi Roderick,
I've used it on holidays.
I found it a bit flat, I think that is due to the wax binder.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.