Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Hi, Newbie Here

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bobby Gibson

Hi, Newbie Here

Post by Bobby Gibson »

Hi everyone,
Just gonna introduce myself...
My name's Bobby, i'm a menswear designer in London, started to practice sign painting in my very limited spare time about 6 months ago and only just discovered this site.
after reading a few old books and blogs, struggling a bit with brush control and many sheets of practice strokes at various brush sizes.... here is my first go at painting a Star Wars quote for a friend o' mine (never seen the film myself)

also.... a mate took a chance on me to paint the pub toilets signs in a pub he runs, initially panicked when i turned up and saw this glass, but had done enough prepping, drawing out the typeface that it wasn't too difficult, but it was difficult!

any feedback and advice would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Attachments
Do or Do Not.jpg
Do or Do Not.jpg (138.38 KiB) Viewed 6101 times
reverse painted with one-shot gold lettering paint with black shading using size 4 mack 189 lettering quill
reverse painted with one-shot gold lettering paint with black shading using size 4 mack 189 lettering quill
Women.jpg (73.91 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
Men.jpg
Men.jpg (53.55 KiB) Viewed 6098 times
Toilets.jpg
Toilets.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 6101 times
pat mackle

Re: Hi, Newbie Here

Post by pat mackle »

Hi Bobbie and welcome.
Your work does not look far off from some of my first goes.
Looks like you are in the early stages of developing the eye and hand coordination which is a significant hurdle.
Your show card work seems off to a good start. I'm sure you see some differences in your stroke widths, and that will improve with practice.
On the door glass, THAT was a challenge, I'm sure your eyes were having a day of it on that ripply glass. I do see that the spacing between your letters could be better, and keep your letter heights in check.
About your letter kerning(spacing). I was taught to use a method where you envision an amount of sand filling the spacing between the letters. As you view the word, imagine equal volumes of sand, nearly exact in amount, filling those open areas between the characters. I was told this buy a great sign teacher and as weird as that sounds, once you get the knack, it works on ALL fonts whether in a line, arch, or circle.
My best advice is keep your brush properly loaded and "practice, practice, practice".
Bobby Gibson

Post by Bobby Gibson »

Hi Pat,
Thanks for all the feedback, admittedly it is really hard to practice while working full time, realise now that it is all in the practice!
Yeah I can see all the inconsistencies now you point them out which is exactly what I need, I'll post some more when I feel I jumped some hurdles!
Cheers!
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

That ripple glass seems a bit cruel to start out on...
Good on you for sticking with it. On the 'gaspipe' letter you picked it would make sense to use tape top and bottom - you get better coverage and don't have to work so hard to get sharp corners. It's not an appropriate technique for every letter (I once saw where someone had taped top & bottom of Cooper Black, a letter with round serifs). but it can help a lot. Remember to put the tape sown from end to beginning, that way you can remove it as you go.
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Bobby Gibson

Post by Bobby Gibson »

Cheers for the advice Lee,
I did put tape down for the gold but for some reason forgot to for the shading, also didn't apply it properly so got a bit of bleed in places.
Do you have any tips for practicing at home? I've been experimenting with different papers and water based paints to avoid fumes but i don't think i'm getting the right combination of brush, paint type and paper to be able to use the same techniques as oil based paint.
I've seen a few example online of people painting on a thin paper but can't seem to find any info on what materials are used,
e.g. what type of paint and paper are usually used for these signs?

Apologies if this is covered on another thread.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Hi Bobby

Those butcher paper window signs are done with big marks... not brushes

Like these here... http://www.readymark.com/products.htm
Last edited by Tyler Tim on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Bobby Gibson

Post by Bobby Gibson »

Tyler Tim wrote:Hi Bobby

Those butcher paper window signs are done with big marks... not brushes

Like these here... [url]http://www.readymark.com/products.htm[/url
Cheers Tyler, I'm based in the UK so will try and find a stockist over here.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I spent many many years doing paper and card signs and we always always always used brushes and paint. I think Bobby is off to a great start and would encourage you to keep following this same path.
Marking out all your letters is certainly one way but think you would benefit from trying the paper banners etc "freehand" in your practise hours at least. I understand the desire to keep the fumes down but the most common paint at least here in North America is Signpainters one shot poster colour. Having said that in the years before computers water based was the 1st choice