Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

after some advice/ideas on my design

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

megan child

after some advice/ideas on my design

Post by megan child »

Hi all,
I'm about to go-ahead and do another mirror. This is a design I did for the dept. I work for however, since I started this design which was to be used on a web-site the government have decided to rename us. So rather than waste my artwork I thought I'd turn it into a mirror.

I am thinking of using Galena and gold for the iron work and silver for the background.

Process.

1. pour gold and screen-print
2. pour galena and print again
3. pour silver and back-up.

do you think this is the correct order?
Attachments
crown.gif
crown.gif (90.16 KiB) Viewed 5736 times
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p
Roderick Treece

Re: after some advice/ideas on my design

Post by Roderick Treece »

Hi Megan, I like your design to start off. I would rethink your choice of materials though. The issue your going to have is having all those reflective finishes next to each other. Espeacially the gold and silver. You won't see a defference between them. I would suggest adding some painted areas or matt gilding to separate mirroring. Do a sample with all three next to each other and you will see what Im talking about.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Meagan,
Have you had good luck "pouring" multiple golds? I assume you are talking about some version of Angel Gilding?

Before committing to a large piece like this, I'd experiment on a very small piece.

Why?
A: Each of the three steps you are talking about requires a VERY clean area of glass.
B: Cleaning can require some serious scrubbing.
C: Each of the steps requires immersing the glass with a solution, possibly several times.

I mirror ink is not very tough. None of them like being immersed, even after curing. None of the inks are particularly tough and don't stand up to a lot of additional scrubbing.

Test first!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Great design...really love it. It seems to echo cast iron lacework. Was that in your mind when you designed it?

Really good points by both Rod and Mike.

Personally, I think I'd be inclined to do the black areas in....plain old black...I know it may sound too obvious, but in fact, it will give you the maximum contrast and provides the base and the strength for the gold and silver to really sing.

I'd probably also use a matt finish for some of the areas of gold...and I'd also find it hard to resist adding some special little feature in those ovals in the letters "D" and "L". (although maybe I could, because in fact, they don't need to me made into a focal point)

Oh...one tiny little criticism...the scrolls on either side of 1788 look like they are on the wrong sides to me. I want to swap them around. hahaha
megan child

Post by megan child »

Thanks for all the advice guys,

I've added a breakdown of the colours for your viewing.

Roderick, I took the suggestion on board and removed any gold outlines and changed them to black. Some of the gold areas Ive lightly sandblasted the glass for so as to give it a grainy effect.

Mike, the ink I use is a 2 pack epoxy and is tough as old nails I screen the design onto the glass and then bake it for 10 mins in a 110 degrees Celsius oven, then I can do any thing to it and it holds up fine.

Bruce, the design comes from the front of one of Sydney's oldest buildings (built in 1819) ironwork. I was creating a new website for the Department of Lands however the name of our department changed and so did the design of the website. I hated not using it so I thought it would look pretty cool above my desk in glass. Funny you should point the 1788 scrolls out - I had always thought that they were on the wrong sides I wonder it the lacky who did the ironwork thought that at the time?
Attachments
BlackPaintOutlines.jpg
BlackPaintOutlines.jpg (38.53 KiB) Viewed 5466 times
AngelGildingGold.jpg
AngelGildingGold.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
Galena.jpg
Galena.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 5460 times
gateway.gif
gateway.gif (49.97 KiB) Viewed 5468 times
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p