Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

How to remove amalgams on mirrror?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Andrey Kolmakov

How to remove amalgams on mirrror?

Post by Andrey Kolmakov »

Hi, guys! Can you help me ? I need to remove backing paint and amalgams on mirror. But not the whole cover. I need to get a certain pattern. Anyone knows how to do it?
Lee Littlewood

Re: How to remove amalgams on mirrror?

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Can you mask it and sandblast it?
But I don't imagine you could do that and still have a smooth surface.

This is what we have done once or twice - the real mirror guys may know something better. It is a messy, smelly, high-risk project.
Something like a thin line of sandblast would be nice to keep the edge sharp.

A) Mask with rubber or stout vinyl, cut and peel your area, rub down the edges again.
B) Lay flat and puddle on paint remover. The paints will bubble up and come off with a plastic squeegee.
C) Rinse off with warm water, let dry and if needed do it again.
D) Then go after the copper and silver with silverstrip chemical and a soft brush. This is another chance for chemicals to go under the cut edges and ruin your line.
E) Start cleaning the exposed glass, trying not to get junk from the edges on the clean glass.

Good Luck
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Andrey Kolmakov

Re: How to remove amalgams on mirrror?

Post by Andrey Kolmakov »

Thanks, Lee!!!