Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Noob - After some easel advice.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Neil Turner

Noob - After some easel advice.

Post by Neil Turner »

Apologies if you read my last post on this - I managed to register with a nickname and had to re-register. :oops:

Just wondered what you tend to use for easels? I'm new to sign painting, been working on the flat so far, but wanted to get something or build something so I can work upright.

I've seen things that look just like two uprights, with holes drilled for dowels at regular intervals so you can sit the work on the dowels at the height you want, looked fairly easy to make.

Was also considering the option of buying a simple easel, maybe a table top one, but wasn't sure they'd hold up once you're leaning on them with a mahl stick.

Any advice/opinions?

Thanks.
Lorenzo Petersson

Re: Noob - After some easel advice.

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

I've tried using one of those three leg easels and using the mahlstick with that was time consuming and tricky.
Maybe one of those large "studio artist" ones would be better?

I recently built one like you said, out of a 2.4x1.2m MDF board and a attached framework of 2"x1" timber to the back of it. Three legs and horizontal supports along the upper and lower edges so the board wouldn't bend and buckle.
I have a rough concrete floor so i just leaned it against the wall (not exactly perpendicular but no biggie) and kicked a wedge under each leg, hasn't moved an inch. Made a stand at the bottom of the board with a few 90° brackets and a floor skirting (about 2" deep) and i'm also figuring i might drill a few holes for dowels like you mentioned, but i'm thinking those might get done when i need them :)

Fairly cheap to do and it's very sturdy, easy to disassemble should one relocate and if anything breaks you can replace that piece, all you need is a saw and a screw-drill.
Took about an hour and a half to build on my own, but i'm guessing one half the size is way faster to do!
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

The photo shows two vertical pieces of lumber,higher than your ceiling height, that could be wedged between the floor and ceiling,or could be attached to the wall at the top if the ceiling's too high.

What's illustrated looks to be 1" x 4s; you'd be better off with 2" x 4s, which would provide a solid base more so than lighter wood.

Using the adjustable rails, insert some 1/2" dowels in each rail, and lay a 3/4" x 4' x 8' sheet of plywood. Clamp or screw the sheet material to the rails at 4 points, to make it a solid unit.

An artist tripod would work for smaller work, but it's not as sturdy, and you'll eventually need more area to work on larger projects.

Danny
Attachments
2_4Easel .jpg
2_4Easel .jpg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Neil Turner

Post by Neil Turner »

Thanks so much for the replies - looks like building my own is the way to go.

I love the idea of the two verticals and the dowels, that's what I'd seen in the past and it looks like such a great, sturdy setup.

I suspect I'll end up combining both of these to get something I can use indoors for practicing and still be able to move it around a bit.

Hmmm...I'm already starting to think I should clear out my shed and setup something permanent in there tho!

I'll post some photo's once it's done.

Thanks.
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

hahaaa....would like to see what that 12 dollar hot dog looks like danny
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Lorenzo Petersson

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

Its probably a gilded hot dog that!
Or maybe its at the first gas stop after a VERY long unpopulated stretch.?

Neil, i strongly advise you to clear the shed and make a space, i did it in my basement storage, pretty sweet to have the stuff close and on hand without fussing about tidying it up or fumigating the house with turps :)

(Edit: further theories about 12$ hot dogs)
Neil Turner

Post by Neil Turner »

must be like the five dollar shake from Pulp Fiction!

Lorenzo, think the shed will have to get cleared sometime soon - I was trying to stay in the flat in the interests of being social, but it's not working so well! haha.