Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

How was this made?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Terry Whynott

How was this made?

Post by Terry Whynott »

I have a large neon clock with a base that is almost identical to the sign pictured but it's missing the advertising glass. I'd like to reproduce the sign with similar faux aging.

I can't wrap my head around how this was originally made. What order would the colours have been done? It's reversed on glass so I would think the black would go down first, then the white and finished off with the red. What doesn't make sense to me is how the black and white would have disappeared over time exposing the red. I'm baffled!

Can anyone explain this?
Attachments
clock sign.jpg
clock sign.jpg (296.33 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Roderick Treece

Re: How was this made?

Post by Roderick Treece »

I'd have to see better photos to be able to tell you anything.
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Is it illuminated?
How big?
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Terry Whynott

Post by Terry Whynott »

The panel is approx. 18" wide and it's meant to be illuminated. Unfortunately, I don't have a better photo. I took this last year and the sign has since been sold.

Someone has suggested it may actually be two pieces; the front glass and the advertising piece placed behind it. When I saw it in person, it sure looked like it was printed/painted right to the back of the glass, though. I just couldn't understand how the black and white would have disappeared in spots when they were ultimately sandwiched between the red and the glass.
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

If you look you'll see the black has cracked under the DOGS with red filling the voids in and the pin line in the N is a different shade of red. So have you consider the possibility that the red oxide color (either paint or panel) was placed sometime after it was removed from service as a way to keep the original flaking black, white and red from further loss? As for how the panel would of been made. They'd of laid... black first, red pin line then white. To recreate paint in that way with black lacquer... spray six thin coats allow to dry then, line in your red when dry spray white. Distress... when happy with look... back up with red oxide.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock: