Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gilding a Sunny, Sweaty, Frosty Window

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bruce Buckley

Gilding a Sunny, Sweaty, Frosty Window

Post by Bruce Buckley »

Hello all,

Long time, no post... but I'm always checking this board for the latest. I would like to pick everyone's brains for some ideas on how best to tackle some reverse gilding on a store window facing south. Not only does it take a beating from the sun all day, but it's single pane glass that is prone to sweating and frosting in the winter. As if that weren't enough, the store owner has one of those dark translucent shades he likes to pull down behind the window to block the sun. I'm afraid any kind of painted and gilded lettering would be doomed to a premature demise under such harsh conditions. Of course, there's always (if you'll pardon the expression) vinyl, but I'd really like to make gold leaf work if at all possible. Any advice on how I could best proceed to give traditional reverse gilded lettering the longest life possible? I've attached a photo layout to show you the window and what lettering I'd like to execute. Thanks!
Attachments
Leuthold's Small Side Window Photo Layout.jpg
Leuthold's Small Side Window Photo Layout.jpg (357.83 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
Jack Hollands

Re: Gilding a Sunny, Sweaty, Frosty Window

Post by Jack Hollands »

Bruce Jackson backed a gilded window with copper leaf to dissipate heat from the strong Australian sunshine. You could try that with a good pencil varnish.