Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Presentation- Portuguese Letterhead

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

David de Oliveira

Presentation- Portuguese Letterhead

Post by David de Oliveira »

Hello everyone,
My name is David de Oliveira and i'm from Portugal.
Beeing a son of a sign painter, i was born amongst the paints, signs, sable brushes and mahl sticks in my dad's workshop, the smell of turps and thinner is part of my childhood realm. I've learn the trade with my father at a very early age and the workshop used to employ ten people, there was work for everyone and we were managing alright back then till the printing and computer era arise. We were forced to keep up with the modern times and got ourselves equipped with a couple of computers, a vinyl cutter and a printer. The silence of the workshop and the radio playing in the corner disapper from the scene and the repetitive sound of the printer invaded the space, the brushes resting on the wall became dust covered objects and the sweet smell of paint, turps and thinner simply vanished. I got graduated in Graphic Design and the workshop that i used to call playground, became my daily job, right in time to assist to the slowly decay of once a thriving business. Every Tom, Dick and Harry armed with a plotter in there atic were a menace to our workshop, and the death of the workshop got inevitable when my Dad passed away. It`s been almost a year that he left this earth and the same amount of time that this loss made me realise that he left me the "fishing rod" that i needed. I have no knowledge of any other sign painters in Lisbon, so my life has a meaning now and i can see clearly now the path to follow: Keep the art alive!

Cheers to all.
Roderick Treece

Re: Presentation- Portuguese Letterhead

Post by Roderick Treece »

Bon Gia David,
Sorry I didn't get to meet you when I was traveling in Portugal. I loved Lisbon. I think you can make a go of it there. Even glass signs

Roderick
David de Oliveira

Thank you Roderick,
I will try, but the mentality here in relation to signs is "the cheaper the better" and it's a heart breaking experience, when you walk around the city center and see those wonderful old shops all wraped in vinyl.
I've been practicing the glass sign techniques, i've never really learned how to make it properly with dad, but with the help of you all here in the forum i will make it.

David
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

David,

Your story touched me.
Show me some photo's of the work around Lissabon you want to do and I will help setting you up.
You can email them to me through www.wetransfer.com
From my own personal experience I realised that every country and every region has their own sign-history and it is best to start in that tradition and then later continue in the other specialities.
Maybe I will visit you in Lissabon (was planning to go to Portugal for a long time) and give you a free one on one workshop in your studio to get you going.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
David de Oliveira

Thank you Erik,
I'll be very happy to show you lisbon and it's signs, the problem is i don't have a studio yet. I'm focusing in the glass sign now, never did it before, only my dad used to do it.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Whereever you do the glasswork will do.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu