Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Smith's Creme

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Smith's Creme

Post by Mike Jackson »

Old Forum Posts: Oct. 17, 2001

Moderator:
Topic: Smith's Cream. What is it? where do you get it? When should you use it? When shouldn't you use it?
Carol Chapel:
Avoid it on banners. The banner I used it on, is still hanging in my shop and is still not dry. And I thought I had removed all the offending areas. I'll let you know when it finally is dry or I repaint it. It's been about a month since I got it back from the client.

Sarah Schwartz:
Not a very nice "live and learn" experience. Did you go ahead and make them a new one? I have in distant past had that experience with maroon and dark blue paint that took foreveeeer to dry. and mine had no additive.
Kent Smith:
Smith's cream is hydrogenated boiled linseed oil. There are a few other ingredients but basically it extends dry of paint twice as much as regular boiled linseed oil. Once enamel receptive, a vinyl banner does not breath so the dry time could be quadrupled or more. It is basically an oil painting medium but can be used to extend enamels or add blending charateristics to them. Only current manufacturer and holder of the patent for "Smith's Cream" is Dana Colors division of Triangle Coatings.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons