Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Copper backing Thickness

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ismael Alvarado

Copper backing Thickness

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

When using zinc or iron powder and Copper Sulfate to protect the silver layer of the mirror what determines the thickness of the copper layer? I know the basics of how copper is deposited on iron(Solid iron piece ) or Zinc(Solid Zinc piece) which is called displacement plating or immersion plating, but it has a thickness limit because as soon as there are not Iron or Zic atoms to be displaced the reaction stops, now you just cant throw copper sulfate on top of Silver and expect the same reaction, that’s why iron or zinc powder are used, but my question is.. is there a limit of thickness one can achieve on this process?(backing silver mirrors with copper) or one can have the thickness one desires?
pat mackle

Re: Copper backing Thickness

Post by pat mackle »

I think to achieve any copper deposit thicker than using dissimilar metals to deposit the copper will require electrical current. At some point, past depositing a thin

smooth copper layer, you will begin to see nodules of copper begin to form.
Ismael Alvarado

Re: Copper backing Thickness

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

pat mackle wrote:I think to achieve any copper deposit thicker than using dissimilar metals to deposit the copper will require electrical current. At some point, past depositing a thin

smooth copper layer, you will begin to see nodules of copper begin to form.
thanks I appreciate you taking the time to answer..