Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Nifty Tools?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Nifty Tools?

Post by Mike Jackson »

Old Forum Posts: Oct. 17, 2001

Moderator:
Topic: Nifty new tools. Found anything new that makes life easier in the shop?
Mike Jackson
Besides the normal measuring tools in the shop, we really use our Pica ruler a lot. Essentially, it is a metal ruler (normally about 12" long) with a semi-circle end which extends past the shaft of the ruler. We use it to hook over the side of a piece of mdo or similar substrate to make measuring easy for borders and pinstripes. The sell for around $7 or less at most graphic supply stores.

We also use a special tool, sold in frame shops, which is basically a combination square with a 1/2" bar soldered to the end of the rule at a 90 degree angle. They use it to measure accurately from the edges for cutting mattes. We use it almost the same way, except for marking borders and stripes. Set it 3" from the stop, and you can quickly go around a 4 x 8 sign in all corners and tick marks in a few other places. Adjust it to 3.5" and go again. Cool! They sell for around $20. I had my local frame shop order one for us.
Larry Whan:
One of the tool that saves us alot of time in the shop are our paint handles. Some guys call them 'flippin widgets' The are screwed onto the ends of the sign panels (wood or medex/plywood) and the allow you to paint both side of a blank at the same time. you paint one side and while it's still wet you flip it over and paint the other side. Then you can stand it out of theway in the corner of the shop and it frees up your tables. cuts painting time in half.
Raymond Chapman in response to Larry Whan:
These are really handy. I picked up the idea years ago when I was in Mike Jackson's shop. He probably got it from someone else - maybe Jay Cooke. In fact, I still have the small sketch I made of Mike's on a spindle on my desk, and that was a bunch of years ago - back when I had hair and it was all one color.

They work great for sandblasted panels. This summer I saw them in use at Nancy and Noella's, so the idea has spread around the country.
Danny Baronian:
One great tool for long wide sharp lines, or just plain long lines, is the Badger stripper.

Another one is the awl. They're good for holding those small pieces you try and paint holding between your thumb and index finger.
When you done, clamp the handle in the vise, or stick it in some clay on the bench.

Your fingers stay cleaner too!
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons