Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Painting on a Light Box Sign (colors choice, matters etc.)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Francois Morel

Painting on a Light Box Sign (colors choice, matters etc.)

Post by Francois Morel »

Hi,
I didn't find the answer in the "search" so I'm asking to you guys;

I had several light boxes to paint and on the last one letters have to be red.
Problem is you see the strokes when the box is switched on.
When you use black paint, it's ok with two coats, but red looks dirty and darker (black) finally when you add coats and the box is "on".

((On the red one, I finally back painted the letters from the inside of the box (in black) to block the light going through the red painted on the outside))...

By the way, colors on light box look great when the box is off :) so what's the point?

I used 1shot to do these jobs, was it the wrong choice?
Any tips to share please?

Thanx for your help
♫ A B C
It's easy as, 1 2 3
As simple as, do re mi ♫
pat mackle

Re: Painting on a Light Box Sign (colors choice, matters etc.)

Post by pat mackle »

One easy solution is to spray the paint on with an automotive style spray gun. That will eliminate the brush strokes, and if you backlight the panel while spraying, you can control the evenness.
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Back lite signs are spray painted with special paints... LACRYL or GripFlex ( pricey paint ). If your first face painting it on white plastic. Like simple text think of locating some Translucent Vinyl you can hand cut or have someone with a plotter cut it for you. Lettering anything other then Black with a brush as you have found out looks like n.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Francois Morel

Post by Francois Morel »

Thanks a lot guys!
♫ A B C
It's easy as, 1 2 3
As simple as, do re mi ♫
Francois Morel

Post by Francois Morel »

The other solution would be to make a vinyl mask and paint letters with a roller...to get a flat and clean fill (no stroke traces)
♫ A B C
It's easy as, 1 2 3
As simple as, do re mi ♫