Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Black Lion Pub London

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

Black Lion Pub London

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Quite a few years ago I first visited the Black Lion in London England and have gone back many times over the years to see what's been going on and in general just enjoy the splendour of a great pub with amazing signs.

Last year when I was there they had just removed and probably trashed their original signs which were probably from about 1890 and replaced them with "Modern" reproductions. You see those ones all over London done with gold paint. I can imagine the owners just wanting to update. Sure would have been great to see some restoration instead but there we are.
Attachments
e-black lion fall 14.jpg
e-black lion fall 14.jpg (324.23 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
e-Black Lion front1.jpg
e-Black Lion front1.jpg (337.03 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
e-Black Lion front1.2.jpg
e-Black Lion front1.2.jpg (229.06 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Kent Smith

Re: Black Lion Pub London

Post by Kent Smith »

I have written a few articles on how sad this situation is. Some would restore an antique chair but have no knowledge of the value of an antique sign both historically and for the image of their business. I have refused to modernize some signs in the past and educated the customer on why. Other sign makers should do so as well.