Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

1st attempt at some things

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Lucas Scott

1st attempt at some things

Post by Lucas Scott »

So I decided to try my hand at some stuff last night. I'm looking for some feedback. So this will probably be a lengthy post.
So the first thing I did was screen print the design on to glass panels.
luc screen print on glass.JPG
luc screen print on glass.JPG (102.93 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
These are a few different sizes because I used glass that I already had. I did this using 1 shot. My reasoning for 1 shot was because I had it already. I read a few posts on here about what paints/inks and just went with it. I did find however after trying to clean the glass after it dried that denatured alcohol wiped the 1 shot off. Is this normal? Or did I mess something up? Luckily I did multiples of it for this reason.
1st attempt back.JPG
1st attempt back.JPG (143.32 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
So I decided to proceed with the leafing. This is a 23kt loose leaf. (nice and expensive to start with) I tried some things before with an artificial gold and the more I read, the more I saw there are a lot of differences in real vs artificial gold. So I decided to splurge on this lesson. A few messed up pieces later after I turned off the heater I was able to place the pieces on the cutting board. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2W ... ge_o05_s00) After seeing this, I could have made it for like $10. But thats the disadvantage to not knowing someone who does gilding. And then I cut the gold with (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM4 ... ge_o07_s00). I used a gelatin size mixture that I made. I boiled distilled water, waited for it to stop boiling before adding it to the jar. Added 1/2 cup to an old spaghetti sauce jar. Then I added 1~00 empty gelatin capsule, waited like 20-30 minutes and added another 1/2 cup of water to it. Stirred it up and waited probably 10 minutes before doing anything else.
1st attempt front.JPG
1st attempt front.JPG (166.13 KiB) Viewed 5045 times
I then used a mack gilders tip to lay it all out. I realized at this time that I had a few stray hairs and some bent ones. After I had it all laid out I tamped it down a little with a soft round mop brush (Which I probably won't do again)
little later.JPG
little later.JPG (135.83 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
Then after about an hour I went over the back with the same round mop brush as before and knocked off the loose edges. Then went over it with a few cotton balls. Used too much pressure and caused some damage to it. Didn't figure it was too much of an issue though since it's going to need a second gilding anyways. And put it down and let it dry until this morning. This is what it looked like this morning.
https://youtu.be/2c7QeDoptt0
Again, I know it needs a second gilding. I was going to do it this morning but I didn't get up early enough. How long is a gilding size good for? Can I make it in the morning and use it at night? I put the lid on the jar so it can't get contaminated. I just thought I was going to have time this morning so I started making the size and it didn't pan out. Not that it would really be an issue to make it again.
Thank you guys, I would appreciate any and all criticism. Don't worry, I can take it.
Lucas Scott

Re: 1st attempt at some things

Post by Lucas Scott »

Actually pretty happy with the way they turned out. I'm going to keep on with the gilding I believe

IMG_3653.JPG
IMG_3653.JPG (101.65 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
IMG_3655.JPG
IMG_3655.JPG (95.79 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
IMG_3654.JPG
IMG_3654.JPG (95.16 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
https://youtu.be/L9LfcN6M3as
Paige Howarth

Post by Paige Howarth »

Very nice! I'm a total novice, but think it probably best (or at least cheap insurance) to make fresh size each time. Not worth the disappointment of a cloudy gild. I replace old gelatin for the same reason.

Funny, I used that exact square & compasses artwork when surface gilding the front sign outside my own lodge building. The gild still looks great 8 years on, though the black one shot got a little chalky.
Lucas Scott

Post by Lucas Scott »

Very nice. It was just the nicest one I found when searching
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Coming in late here, but it looks like all went well - so you'll be pumped up for the next round. Go go go...

My first and best suggestion is to get a copy of "Gold Leaf Techniques for Sign Painters" by Ray LeBlanc, edited by Kent Smith. Read every word. It really is the bible for this particular world.

LeBlanc recommends against using gelatin size that has sat overnight, and i've always followed him so i don't know anything else. I have noticed gelatin size beginning to smell the next day, if I forgot to toss it.
It looks as if you got good flow over your dry 1Shot. LeBlanc mentions adding detergent to the gelatin size to help it flow over paint, but I much prefer to dust kaolin powder on the well-dried paint, then wipe it off gently with clean cotton. Then the size usually 'flows over' well.

Keep on keeping on, and post more pictures
where am i? Now, when i need me...